• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Solution for HP 310

PRS Bryan

I have a HP 310 and would like to buy a plotter to allow a print / cut workflow.

The cutter will be replacing an aged Graphtek CE-5000-120. I am considering a Summa-S2T140. Is anyone using this machine to cut the output of the HP310? Are there other cutters I should be considering?

I am currently using the FlexiPrint that came with the HP for the rip software. I do know I will need to upgrade or replace the FlexiPrint rip.

I have seen a few threads regarding rip software for the HP310 but none about pairing it with an appropriate cutter. If I have missed relevant threads in my search feel free to post links, there is no need to type it all again.

My budget is around 10,000 to 12,000 but I don't need to spend it all.

Thank you for your time.

Robert Gruner

PRS
Summa 54" Tangential cutter might be the very best you could buy? It generally sells for around $9K. It might be an overkill for die-cutting. The Summa S2140D is a 54" drag knife cutter and would probably work equally well for die cutting and is generally $1,000 to $1,500 less than the T cutter.
You might wish to look closely at the Graphtec FC8600-130 which is a 54" drag knife cutter that generally sells for around $6K. You can upgrade your SAI software to Flexi Pro for around $1K or you might consider Onyx PosterShop Pro PS RIP for around $3K. Onyx handles die-cutting quite well.

Good luck.

Dennis422

Graphtec FC 8600-130 is the cutter I have and I use it with my HP L330.
No need for new software. If you use Adobe Illustrator to design, you can set it up and cut from Illustrator with Cutting Master 3 (Illustrator Plug-in)

Also, if you are negotiator, you can get it for a lot less than $6K.

Good luck

jayhawksigns

We are long time Summa users here, those things are built like tanks.

When we first got into contour cutting it was with a Mimaki cutter that was paired with the JV3, it worked, but the Summa is just better. And I don't know if the Graphtecs offer it, but using the OPOS XY Barcode when doing a long run of print and cut decals is a dream.

Robert Gruner

DK...<<Also, if you are negotiator, you can get it for a lot less than $6K.>> LOL

Since the reseller is also tasked with warranty service, most won't "negotiate" for a lot less than $6K. On the other hand DK, if I can provide you warranty parts and you agree to do the service, then I will "negotiate" with you for a lower price. :)

Jayhawk is absolutely correct...Summa's are built like tanks...Question is...do you really need a TANK to die-cut decals?

Bob

PRS Bryan

Thank you for your responses!

It is good to hear that I can use Illustrator to cut. I am not sophisticated enough to need anymore options from my rip, I am confused already.

I do believe that the Summa may be overkill but I am looking to buy the last cutter I need.

Additionally I start whining like a small child when my cutter rips or lifts the vinyl on fine cuts.

I like having a machine capable of doing more than I currently require.

Regardless I am horrible negotiator, which is why I am the sign shop as opposed to sales. I leave negotiations to those who are good at it.

Thanks again.

Bly

We have both Summa drag knife and tangential cutters.
The tangential is way better for cutting thick laminated printed output.
If you do a lot of that kind of cutting they are worth the premium.

PRS Bryan

We have both Summa drag knife and tangential cutters.
The tangential is way better for cutting thick laminated printed output.
If you do a lot of that kind of cutting they are worth the premium.

That is exactly what I am doing.

Thank you for responding.

Dennis422

DK...<<Also, if you are negotiator, you can get it for a lot less than $6K.>> LOL

Since the reseller is also tasked with warranty service, most won't "negotiate" for a lot less than $6K. On the other hand DK, if I can provide you warranty parts and you agree to do the service, then I will "negotiate" with you for a lower price. :)

Jayhawk is absolutely correct...Summa's are built like tanks...Question is...do you really need a TANK to die-cut decals?

Bob

Do not really want to say on the forum how much I paid, but it was WELL BELOW $6K.
Mine was one of the first FC 8600 models in the States. Bought from one of the big boy distributors who is providing me with a support when needed (Twice so far, only software and firmware issues).
Warranty work is done through Graphtec (has to be approved by them), so not sure what are you selling me there. (I have authorized Graphtec repair shop at driving distance, so I could drop off myself).

Dan Ripper

We've got a brand new Mimaki CG-100SR III that has never been used. We bought it for a trade show and looking to get rid of it. Asking $2295.00