• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting 680CR issues

121a

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have been on the forum! Anyway, I just spent the last 10 minutes searching here for an answer I couldn't find. Here is the issue, we have been digitally printing on 680CR and laminating with 8518, however, when cutting, we notice that there is glue residue left attached to the decal that has been cut. It is very strange. It is completely random. While it doesn't trash the print or anything, it makes weeding it a nightmare. Whenever it leaves the glue behind, we have to go back by hand with an x-acto to remove the residue.

It is being cut on a Mimaki CJV30, 10cm/s and 250g pressure. Does it when blade is new or old. However, we don't have the issue with 3M 5100 media, which we normally use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

laserman70

Just cut about 100 lin. feet of the exact materials.. No issues at all..
Not sure why its leaving glue
hopefully someone can help you...

jfiscus

Rap Master
We cut it almost every day on our mimaki plotter. Never any issues. Possibly your blade is bad? (or maybe the roll is?)
I know we use a custom setting that is stronger than our regular laminated 180c setting and also manually rotate the blade out another revolution of the blade holder when we plot it.

tbullo

Superunknown
I recently had this happen. After lam. I cut the prints out the next day. Weeded the prints and in some places it was like the lam. pulled the surface of the reflective off the glue leaving the glue on the liner. Didn't damage prints so I just kept going. Thought it was strange then I saw this post. I have not had any problems before with 680 and 8518.

121a

I have attached a picture of what is happening. The lam is not the issue. It has done this without lam. I just tried upping the blade pressure to 280, 290 was a bit too much. Very minor improvement. It may have to do with blade depth. I will try that on the next batch of decals, have 4 more 65" sets to go. Luckily the decal is just a rectangle with a one at the front of it.

You can see in the picture that the clear top of the vinyl is fine but the adhesive is pulled away. We have another roll of the stuff due in today so maybe it will be better. Like I said, this is our first roll of the stuff so we thought it may just be the way it is. Then I searched here and realized everyone loved it and didn't have any issues.

IMG_3040.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never ever ever seen anything like that... Get out a loupe (sp?) and check your blade tip.
Also possibly there is gunk in the blade holder not allowing the blade to pivot/spin correctly?

121a

I'm not sure what degree blade it is. I will have to pick up a 60* blade and see. Like I said, we have never had this issue with 3M 5100. Trying 3 more cuts right now with more blade depth. Also cleaned the blade as it had a little debris on it.

Thanks all for the help thus far and Happy Halloween!

121a

Issue appears to be solved. More blade depth, cleaned blade, and new roll of 680CR. Not sure which one fixed the issue but did 4 decals without issue.