• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting a 54" roll of laminate into smaller rolls

Kevspins2

Hi All, quick question. I have a weird sized laminator (it is 17" wide for small projects).

I was wanting to see if I can buy a 54" roll and cut it into usable sizes? or have the distributor cut it. I haven't even asked around, came here first to see if anyone has advice.

Thanks

ikarasu

Most distributors will cut it for you. Usually it's $5-10 a cut.. Free if you have a good relationship with them / buy it from them.

You can do it yourself with a chopsaw or bandsaw, but it's not as nice or clean or a cut

victor bogdanov

Hi All, quick question. I have a weird sized laminator (it is 17" wide for small projects).

I was wanting to see if I can buy a 54" roll and cut it into usable sizes? or have the distributor cut it. I haven't even asked around, came here first to see if anyone has advice.

Thanks

I cut 60" rolls in half all the time with a compound miter saw, nice clean cuts

victor bogdanov

Just a regular wood blade, don't remember the teeth count but its medium teeth size. No different from cutting wood, go slow and let the blade do the cutting. Depending on the saw size you might have to rotate the roll half way through the cut if the diameter is too big for the saw. make sure the roll is taped very good so it does not unwind after/during cutting

Andy D

I used to slit my material using a weighted utility knife holder I made, slitting while my printer's take-up
pulled vinyl through (not printing, the pinch wheels were up) from the supply side & it did a very clean job.

Edited to add; My weighted utility knife holder had a name, I dubbed him "Sir Slits A-Lot"