• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting a Partial Wrap

Devo

Hi !

I am looking for a bit of advice please. I have been in the trade for 38 years and have just upgraded my old JV2 Mimaki to a newer CJV30-160, but I'm not here tro brag :)

I have very limited experience doing a wrap and have an oredr to do 10 partial wraps. After being sold the Avery MPI 1005 WITHOUT the air release, I had to buy a roll of the Avery WITH the air release, Avery MPI 1005. So, heaps lighter in my wallet now !

Anyhoos, my questions would be whether or not to use application tape as the partial wraps are panels cut-to-shape ... reasonably narrow and the length of the vehicle.

Or to cut on the job. I have had a lot of experience cutting vinyls this way, although it is not my preferred method. I was contemplating printing and cutting the bands a bit oversized and trimming them back, and printing the big plugs seperately and lining them up to the bands, The phone numbers and electrician logos will be cut from cast vinyl, not printed.

Any suggestions on how you would tackle this job would be appreciated. I am signed up for doing an Avery wrap course in August.

Thanks People :)

Attachments

• Van Example.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 109

Devo

Avery I could get on account, it was a financial decision. I have tried to deal with a QLD 3M distributor a number of times and it's always a hassle. They send the wrong stuff, I pay for stuff in advance to be told it's out of stock and then it's a month before they refund my money etc etc etc. Just bad deals.

I trust Avery, always have. I used to stock (from 1990 onwards) Avery, 3M, and Calon / Arlon. I tended to stay away from the smaller brands as they usually ended up in disaster. Just about everything I have ever used has been cast vinyl. I tried calendered in the early days but got too much comeback from it so I've tended to stick to one quality and just a few brands. I find it hard even to go to a polymeric !

I tried some Oracal last year and still have the roll on the shelf, personal taste, don't like the feel of it.

10 years ago I sold my shop and moved to QLD to work for a small shop that was stuck in the '70's so I tended to fall behind in the current trends lol ... now it's catchup time !!!

Why ? What does everybody else use ?

mudmedia

Yes I would use low / medium tack application tape...Only partial wraps I never have used app tape on are ones say going from the front fender to the rear of the van but its a full print top to bottom with a swoosh or what not. I have the plotter cut the wrap or hand cut then put on van with no tape but with stripes and mid height graphics i'd use it. Good luck!

lexsigns

I had 250 vehicles with avery A8 fail- almost put me under...any financial reason to use it is a huge RISK avery wont stand behind their products expecially if you are a small shop. not fun if those 10 vehicles come back failing...Just my advise from experience I wont use avery on anything!!!
any way to answer your question... you could use transfer tape or not but dont cut on the vehicle either way. Whichever you are more comfortable with. 3M would be so forgiving it really makes no difference.. good luck :)

Avery I could get on account, it was a financial decision. I have tried to deal with a QLD 3M distributor a number of times and it's always a hassle. They send the wrong stuff, I pay for stuff in advance to be told it's out of stock and then it's a month before they refund my money etc etc etc. Just bad deals.

I trust Avery, always have. I used to stock (from 1990 onwards) Avery, 3M, and Calon / Arlon. I tended to stay away from the smaller brands as they usually ended up in disaster. Just about everything I have ever used has been cast vinyl. I tried calendered in the early days but got too much comeback from it so I've tended to stick to one quality and just a few brands. I find it hard even to go to a polymeric !

I tried some Oracal last year and still have the roll on the shelf, personal taste, don't like the feel of it.

10 years ago I sold my shop and moved to QLD to work for a small shop that was stuck in the '70's so I tended to fall behind in the current trends lol ... now it's catchup time !!!

Why ? What does everybody else use ?

Devo

Jason, I tried the Avery MPI 1005 without the air release and it left heaps of air bubbles and creases ... I found it really hard to work with so I got the air release version. The app tape is only to hold the precut graphics and lettering in place .... hence the question: to use app tape or not ?

I think if I was to not use the app tape, then I would not precut the vinyl and so cut it on the vehicle which is not my favourite job as I haven't been practiced at it for over 10 years ! I used to be able to cut mask on a banner years ago without cutting into the banner which was a reasonable accomplishment in the day. I will regain the feel for the knife, but not on this job :)

Thanks for your input ...

Lexsigns ... do you use 3M now ?

jasonx

Jason, I tried the Avery MPI 1005 without the air release and it left heaps of air bubbles and creases ... I found it really hard to work with so I got the air release version. The app tape is only to hold the precut graphics and lettering in place .... hence the question: to use app tape or not ?

I think if I was to not use the app tape, then I would not precut the vinyl and so cut it on the vehicle which is not my favourite job as I haven't been practiced at it for over 10 years ! I used to be able to cut mask on a banner years ago without cutting into the banner which was a reasonable accomplishment in the day. I will regain the feel for the knife, but not on this job :)

Thanks for your input ...

Lexsigns ... do you use 3M now ?

That's fair enough. If you use application tape with the 1005EZ RS make sure you really squeegee it down thoroughly and if you can leave it on for 30 minutes or so before removing the app tape. The 1005EZ RS is repositionable and if your not careful removing the application tape you might lift and tear the graphic.

The 1005LTR would be better if you could apply it without the bubbles or creases when its got application tape on it.

Don't worry about this whole 3M vs Avery thing. I'm redoing a van that was done with 3M and I'm using Avery. Not saying that Avery didn't have issues in the states years ago but if you don't follow the correct procedure for any film its going to fail. I guess who ever installed this previous van didn't post heat or didn't prepare the surface properly and it was lifting every where.

If you need any help drop me a personal email on jason@mediapoint.com.au I'm in Melbourne.

Premier Wraps

I've repaired a ton of wraps that were done with 3M, Oracal and Avery. Absolutely agree with installation being done wrong each time. Material manufacture is a preference IMO. As for Avery not standing behind their product, I disagree. Their customer service is top notch.....especially when you spend the money we do with them.

Devo

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm gunna swallow a huge Brave Pill and put some concrete in this morning's coffee to harden up and try the first side without the appo tape and see how it goes from there. Today is the first vehicle ... Ahhh, the adventure of it all :)

Devo

and so .... the end result is: WHAT THE HELL WAS I WORRIED ABOUT ???

hahahaha ... went on really easily without the app tape. Just used some cotton gloves and then the squeegee, post heated and the cutomer is rapt and his vehicle is wrapped. That stuff is a dream to use after the Fleet !

Thanks again to everyone for their input :)

Kind Regards

Devo

jasonx

and so .... the end result is: WHAT THE HELL WAS I WORRIED ABOUT ???

hahahaha ... went on really easily without the app tape. Just used some cotton gloves and then the squeegee, post heated and the cutomer is rapt and his vehicle is wrapped. That stuff is a dream to use after the Fleet !

Thanks again to everyone for their input :)

Kind Regards

Devo

The 1005EZ RS is good for this application. But if your doing a Hyundai Iload over the recesses panel the EZ RS will probably lift. You'd need the fleet in this instance.

Bly

The 1005EZ RS is good for this application. But if your doing a Hyundai Iload over the recesses panel the EZ RS will probably lift. You'd need the fleet in this instance.

You reckon? We got an Iload to do shortly.

Devo

The rest of this customers' vehicles are being done the same as this one ... one big bright band with smaller individual cut letters for the business name, phone numbers and smaller trade logo.

Methinks I will have to let go of some of my old design methods and start thinking complete printed panels mebbe ... food for thought.

I did the 3M wrap course last year and learnt a bit about wrapping and I am signed up for the Avery course on 9th August at the Gold Coast through Spandex.

I have to learn how to apply the 1005 Fleet coz I got a whole roll of the stuff left (almost) and for the lager recess stuff as you say Jason, the Fleet is the better product.

Ya CAN teach an old dog new tricks :)

I really like this easy apply stuff .... was thinking about a roll of intermediate, looking at Image Perfect 2503, a 7 year polymeric with easy apply, sounds good. For flat panel signs, awnings and that type of thing.

Circleville Signs

Personally, I've switched almost entirely to Avery 1005EZ for wrap applications. Used to use IJ180-v3 but about a year ago our Fellers Rep got me to try a roll of the 1005. It was like laying down butter. Loved it. I was skeptical, because in the past I'd never had anything but major headaches when using Avery products. So, over the next few months I used Avery when the client was super budget oriented (probably 5-6 jobs). Every time the job was easier to install than using 3M.

I haven't had a single failure, and about 6 months ago I stopped ordering 3M unless the job was spec'd for it.