• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting aluminum

openwood

I have taken sheets of aluminum in brushed and bright brass color and laminated them to sheets of sintra.I was given a contact cement to laminate the two products.I then cut the letters on the table. the problem is the cement does not hold very well.I have done a few sheets and always the same result.I need to cut some aluminum letters for an interior project and inlay them.has anyone cut aluminum sheets on the talbe?What did you laminate it to if anything.The letters i am cutting are small so there has to be a backing to keep the letters in place.I normally back the sintra with sandblast stencil,but that still does not solve the laminating problems.I think i need a new backing material.Any suggestions?
thanks
Brian
:unclesam:

dennis j

Brian,
I think that Diebond has a brushed aluminum for interior use. I use application tape for my backing to hold small objects in place.

dennis j

Brian,

It is thin aluminum over a pvc (I think it is pvc) we use it all the time the brushed aluminum is for interior only but all the other colors are outdoor durable here is the address to their web site http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/. I think that there are other products that are similar to Diebond but not sure. It comes in 2mm, 3mm & 4mm we usually use 3mm.

Alf D

I use double sided tape to hold the aluminium in place. Cut slowly with a lubricant and not too deeply on each pass.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Most of my projects are high end, so I usually call out solid stock or fabricated aluminum or stainless, but with small letters I would do them in solid stock, less headaches. I like those laminates like Chemetal, but only use them on flat panels-not letters.

openwood

I odered a sheet of dibond it should be here tomorrow.The letters I am trying to cut are SMALL about 1 1/2 inches high.Thickness is not that important,but i do want to inlay the letters and numbers.I tried it out of my sintra-sheet aluminum lamate but the two kept seperating as usual.I am hoping the sandblast stencil is enough to hold them in place.the first few did not go so well.Thanks for the imput everybody!:unclesam:
Brian

openwood

Success!! The dibond worked great.I cut some small very clean letters with it.I used ADA applique as a backing and i held the letters rock solid.Usual problem with the pvc material.What is the trick to remove the chips.I am using a straight flute bit becuase the up cut would seperate the material i was using before.Is it speed or should i make a larger gap in the finish cut.The dibond did not melt back as bad as sintra,but still needed to be cleaned up.
I will post a pic of the sample when it is finished.
Brian

MAB SIGNS

Just chiming in...

Because I love chemetals. Chemetals are great laminates for signs or architectural stuff. I like the copper look on Bar Cabinets. Brian please post that pic when completed, we've never routed dibond either. While on the routing subject I do have one question. Is there a good way of avoiding the rough edges on mirrored gatorfoam, (can't think of the product name) or is there a good way of cleaning it after routing? We cut some letters with it and paint the edges.

Mark

Mike

The center core of diebond I believe is polyethylene it acts like a lubricant and keeps the bit cool