• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting aluminum

Vicg

You can reverse the blade and cut the alum that way its safer of youv'e never cut before. you can also cut the 090 that way with a aswell as long as its not larger than your miter.
otherwise i would suggest a nibbler for the sheet.
Vic

Patrick46

Well???....how'z progress going???

BTW... you NEVER DID tell us what kinda plane you're building.
I've got 2 friends that have completed KitFox's recently, and have several others that have built RV-4's...now those planes are FUN!!!! WooHoo!!!

diverscott

Not sure what kind of equipment you've got in the shop, but I do all aluminum cutting from .020" to 3 inch on our CNC with a 11 foot cutting table. I found it to be the best way to get precise cuts and shapes for those larger jobs, like building that airplane is sure to be. Pilot holes for threaded taps and routing cutouts for wiring and tubing are also easy to lay out into the design. It can also mill out some of your thicker metal stocks to lighten the structural weight for bulkheads, spars, longerons, etc. For tubing, a standard miter saw works well, as previously mentioned. While a CNC may not be standard equipment in your operation, if you do have access to one, it will make repetitious or intricate cutting a whole lot simpler.