• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help cutting from roll vinyl

KJ CLab

Hi, I will admit I am new to running a vinyl cutter. I am trying to cut a 40 inch x 24 inch graphic on a Summa D120. I have 24" roll material, and I am having trouble cutting the 40 inch length from a roll of vinyl. (I figured I should be able to do this, the roll is new and of 50 yards and brand new.
ANY ASSISTANCE AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. The manual doesn't seem to address this issue, if It does, I am missing it.

If I try to send to cutter I get the message, "design is too big for cutting material"

thank you, KJ

jwlllpl

Most plotters cannot cut the full width of the vinyl. For 24" I usually do not cut any wider than 22.65 on mine. You will need to check the specs for your plotter.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
you can't cut all the way to the edge of the material with any plotter that I know of. you'd need a 30" roll to cut 24"

Lady Who

Hi, I will admit I am new to running a vinyl cutter. I am trying to cut a 40 inch x 24 inch graphic on a Summa D120. I have 24" roll material, and I am having trouble cutting the 40 inch length from a roll of vinyl. (I figured I should be able to do this, the roll is new and of 50 yards and brand new.
ANY ASSISTANCE AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. The manual doesn't seem to address this issue, if It does, I am missing it.

If I try to send to cutter I get the message, "design is too big for cutting material"

thank you, KJ

You can never cut / print a 24 inch artwork into a 24 inch material. You could either use negative margins (but still, will need at least 10 mm margin on each side or could try some cutting mat like this (which I never used and don't know if can be found in the size you need)
(
)

Anyways, ain't worth trying anything but buying a larger vinyl. Trust me, you have a lot to lose by trying to use that vinyl. I've experienced so much trouble for trying to reuse left over vinyl, refill cartridges and all kinds of work around, by the way, currently I'm in big trouble due to the "jeitinho brasileiro" that I've applied to my machine and screwed things up in here :(

Bly

You can cut nearly to the edge with a Summa by using the extended load feature but it's almost never a good idea.

striper14

as Bly says, use extended load. When you load the vinyl the cutter should tell you the available width you can cut. Turn off any weed borders in your plotting software as well.
You should now have the width you have to cut. I work in metrics but with a 610mm wide roll, theres usually around 595 mm to play with. Usually thats it but with the summa the extended load lets you cut wider than the inside of the pinch rollers.
on the cutter front screen, press menu then up/down to find extended load, then enter. use the right arrow to move cutter head as far right as you want, then enter. The head will move to left side, then you press left arrow to move further left. press enter & the head will return to start.
Obviously you need to keep the blade slightly inside the edge of the material but you should be able to get pretty close to 24" wide . If your still a little short just make the artwork a little thinner