• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Issues

Recently we've noticed that instead of getting a nice clean smooth line cut in the vinyl we're getting a series of dots - what could cause such an issue? We've replaced the blade a number of times and I haven't had this problem before. It makes it especially difficult with smaller lettering. I'm not sure if it's the way I'm replacing the blade (by the book) or if it could be a media-skewing issue or what. Based on these symptoms, can anyone diagnose?

Thanks!

I'm beginning to agree, with all the combinations of blades/force/depth I've tried it has to be something else.
Is there anyway to check the bearing myself or do I have to make a service call?

Jburns

try taking the holder off the carriage, then inspect the blade under a light. Then try and spin the blade-it should have zero resistance to rotating and zero "slop".
Also a good time to oil the tiny bearing in the holder,

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions!

I ordered a new blade holder, a new blade protection strip and new blades - but the answer to the problem came with my tech's suggestion of putting a drop of liquid silicon lubricant into the bearing, then replacing the blade and twisting it around a bit to spread out the lubricant. First and subsequent cuts came out perfectly. Turns out the blade couldn't rotate/pivot properly and was essentially being dragged across the media resulting in the dotted lines that were being cut.