• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Master 5 and Reg Marks/Cutting

47CP

I swear I saw this discussed but I can't find it, sorry if I missed it.

Has anyone upgraded to CM5 and found that it will not cut properly from files/registration marks setup in CM4? Corel22 if it matters.

When I send the cutline/reg mark layer from Corel to CM5, it either doesn't recognize the marks or if it does, they are huge black blobs. If it doesn't recognize them, when I go to the Reg Mark tab and click "Use Registration Marks" it shows the giant black blobs again.

If you try to cut with the blobs, it finds the marks on the print but the cut ends up way off

Thanks for any thoughts,

DaveW

victor bogdanov

Haven't upgraded but one thing you can try if you need to cut old files is export the cut file to USB drive and try cutting that way

Joe House

Cutting Master 5 isn't an upgrade to CM4. It's a total rewrite of the program. SAi built CM4. CM5 is built by Graphtec. I wouldn't expect compatibility between the two systems any more than trying to cut a print job from Omega through Flexi's production manager. CM5 does bring some cool features though - you can once again rename your conditions and you can sync your settings across multiple plotters.
You'll have the same problem with Graphtec Studio 2 - files saved in older versions of Graphtec studio will not be compatible in the new software.

Joe House

That's dumb, but the real question I have is why? SAi invested resources to develop cm4 for other programs like illy and corel? That's shooting yourself in the foot, right?

I don't know the why, but usually you can follow the money. CM5 supports Illustrator and Corel as well. As for SAi, Graphtec paid them to do CM4, so I'm sure they did OK.

dypinc

I wonder if it is not more the case of Graphtec not wanting to support old cutters, where CM4 supports older cutters including the VinylExpress ones.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Maybe graphtec wants to improve it? People here complain about rasterlink but CM4 has been the most clunky unrefined piece of software that I have used in a very long time.

47CP

Cutting Master 5 isn't an upgrade to CM4. It's a total rewrite of the program. SAi built CM4. CM5 is built by Graphtec. I wouldn't expect compatibility between the two systems any more than trying to cut a print job from Omega through Flexi's production manager. CM5 does bring some cool features though - you can once again rename your conditions and you can sync your settings across multiple plotters.
This isn't aimed at you, but how is someone supposed to know that CM5 is a whole other program rather than a version upgrade? I mean I get paid to make signs, not track forum posts talking about whether version upgrades are written by the same company or not. And they make no mention of incompatibility on the product page https://www.graphtecamerica.com/software

And while I am obviously a pretty early adopter of CM5, over time there will be no choice but to upgrade and no one except them knows the timetable for when SAI/Graphtec/whoever drops support for CM4 or something I need.

They could have easily named this new software CutPro or something not 'Cutting Master" and avoided the confusion altogether.

Graphtec support was pretty snarky about it to, saying i never should have expected it to be compatible.

End my ranting :)

It really isn't a huge deal. We don't reprint that many old files and we can remember to redo the marks. Or we can run CM4 along side CM5 for those instances, I was just hoping to keep things one step simpler for my employees.

Thanks

Dave

diltech

Hi,

I wanted to install CM5 with Illustrator 2023 on my iMAC. I am using Graphtec 8600 firmware ver. 3.3.

FOr now the print and cut is not accurate and I don't know why. With CM4 everything is ok so, it's not the hardware.
First use CM5, I had a problem to detect the marks of registers, even though I checked the option. I realized it's because I'm using multiple marks on a length that doesn't need it. If I use simple masks, the mask detection works perfectly.

Regards.

47CP

Hi,

I wanted to install CM5 with Illustrator 2023 on my iMAC. I am using Graphtec 8600 firmware ver. 3.3.

FOr now the print and cut is not accurate and I don't know why. With CM4 everything is ok so, it's not the hardware.
First use CM5, I had a problem to detect the marks of registers, even though I checked the option. I realized it's because I'm using multiple marks on a length that doesn't need it. If I use simple masks, the mask detection works perfectly.

Regards.
No help on your problem except to say that we had a similar issue. On a long print, it would work fine, but on shorter ones it would not read the back marks at all no matter what we did.

I just decided to switch back to CM4. I don't regularly use Illustrator, but when I installed CM4 it acted like it put the shortcuts on there and it works fine with Corel 22 or whatever the subscription current version is. ALl on PC though, not MAC

DaveW

diltech

No help on your problem except to say that we had a similar issue. On a long print, it would work fine, but on shorter ones it would not read the back marks at all no matter what we did.

I just decided to switch back to CM4. I don't regularly use Illustrator, but when I installed CM4 it acted like it put the shortcuts on there and it works fine with Corel 22 or whatever the subscription current version is. ALl on PC though, not MAC

DaveW
May be help you. I fixed the problem.

Fixed