• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Master registration is slightly off

Reaction GFX

We have an FC7000-130 here and we're running Cutting Master 2 directly out of Illustrator CS6. I've tried CM3 but for some reason it tends to end up just frustrating me so I always revert back to CM2. The issue I've had pretty much since day one is that my print-to-cut registration is ALWAYS just slightly off. We're talking .5 to 1.5 mm in one or often two directions. For some jobs it's not really a big deal, but on some jobs the print-to-cut registration is more critical. I often end up printing two copies, using the first one to see how far off it is, then moving my cut layer in Illustrator ever so slightly to compensate and then cutting the second print. Even after doing that , it's rarely dead on. I've measured the distance between the printed registration marks and compared to Illustrator file and it's pretty spot-on. Today I did a job and it almost seemed like the cut was scaled down one or two percent from the print as the amount it was off varied from one side of the print to the other. I verified reg mark distance to the file and, again, it was spot-on. Ended up having to compromise with my adjustment to the file so the cut is pretty dead on in the center and slightly off (towards the center) on both ends.

Is there anything I can check or do to improve the print-to-cut registration? I'm open to any suggestions as this is really starting to get old.

Just thought of something...I've always used a fill on the shapes in my cut layer and no stroke. Should I be doing the opposite? Stroke and no fill? I wouldn't think it would make a difference, since a path is a path regardless of whether it's stroked of filled. Just a thought.