• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting mats - To Grid or Not to Grid?

BrianKE

With glass, doesn't the glass dull a blade fast?

I have been using glass for as long as I have been making signs so I can't say if glass will dull the blades faster than a cutting mat. However, I know from talking with other sign makers that a cutting mat, even those that claim to be self healing, will eventually hold a scar and can make your blade wander.

Honestly, X-Acto blades are about $3 / thousand. I know that is an exaggeration but are you really worried about X-Acto blades costs? I would much rather change a blade then re-cut, re-weed and re-mask something I just screwed up because my blade caught a scar and cut into my vinyl.

BTW, if you go with glass make sure it is at least 1/4" thick and tempered. The thickness will vary depending on how big a table you are covering. Also, put some of that non-skid rubber foam material between the table top and glass (the stuff they sell for under an area rug). It will keep the glass from sliding and also absorb tiny bumps which might otherwise cause a stress point on the glass and crack it.

Salmoneye

I was a stripper in a print shop and got used to glass tables. Once you use glass you will never want to use a cutting mat again.

Salmoneye

Not only are your cuts straighter but your blade does not get bogged down slicing through rubber. Much less pressure is required and your media doesn't sponge underneath you so you have a great feel for how deep you are cutting when you are trying to cut media but not liner. Masking tape also sticks very well to glass. I just priced out 2 more pieces for our shop. 1/4" tempered with sanded edges 5' x 10' $338.50 delivered or 4' x 8' $216.64 delivered.