• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting mats - To Grid or Not to Grid?

WestcoastSigns

I want to get a 4' x 8' cutting mat for my table but see there are two different types. One with a grid and one without.

What do most of you use? The gridded is substantially more - about 65% more in price - so want to know if it's worth the extra $$.

Thanks!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
we got one a few years back and got the grid...i can count on one hand the amount of times i've used the grid....looking back, it was a waste....the cutting mat on the other hand...couldn't ask for a better "bang for your buck"

ProWraps

we ordered all 4 of ours from fellers. none came with a grid. and i cant think of a single time where i said "man i wish this had a grid".

but i can say when i ordered it, i said "wtf, why is there no grid". in the end, the first sentence of this reply is what mattered.

Mosh

no grids here. We have 3 5x8 mats. Can't see where it would be of any use. Maybee back in the cut and paste days with a waxer. BTW does anyone know what a waxer is anymore?

Last edited:

G-Artist

no grids here. We have 3 5x8 mats. Can't see where it would be of any use. Maybee back in the cut and paste days with a waxer. BTW does anyone know what a waxer is anymore?

I still have an old electric one in storage around here somewhere.

I really preferred rubber cement...maybe it was the smell(?).

GP

I have to admit - i like my grid.

I use it a lot to quickly trim down RTA orders, always thanking myself for getting the grid.

I am weird like that,

GP

Bill Modzel

I love the grid. It provides quick measurement and more that that, it make
cutting edges square with only on measure and mark. That alone save hours over the course or it's life. More than it costs for the grid print.

BrianKE

Instead of a cutting mat with grid I purchased a thin printed grid and then laid a piece of tempered glass over that. The tempered glass will not get cut up like the mat and is exceptionally easy to clean.

As for the grid I use it quite often, mainly when trying to square something up. Rather than trying to measure corner to opposite corner I just line up to one axis of the grid and then cut along the other axis and I know it is square. Even better than a T-Square, which can sometimes be slightly out of square over a long distance.

veloxgraphics

If you're cutting apart sheets of product to give to a customer for final application, a grid is nice for easily making square even sheets... but yea, for 65% more, i would pass and layout a few squaring lines of my own with vinyl

WestcoastSigns

Sure, now the grids guys come out. Haven't bought yet so will have to think more. I will be doing alot of cutting that I would need to square the cuts.

Many of you mention putting a grid underneath. I presumed it wasn't see through. Thought it would be like my white kitchen cutting board. No?

With glass, doesn't the glass dull a blade fast?

Rooster

I've always used a grid. It's useful. Not really a necessity if you have a T-Square around but handy none-the-less.