• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Mats

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I need some new cutting mats, the ones I have came from Grimco about 2-2.5 years ago and the second side is leaving plastic bits all over the place now. I was thinking of buying a matt from yellow tools since I can get a single 20ft piece for my main tables, are the worth the extra money or are they going to turn to dust in two years? I bought my most recent mats from Denco and the one one table that sees less us and has it use seems to be holding up well.

I would like to know what you are suing or have used in the past that works well. I have never had mats turn to dust like these and the only time I have ever replaced one before this job was because rapid removed was spilled on it and tape wouldn't stick after.

hbb2008

Premium Subscriber
perhaps this is the other thread, good info and tips

2B

we have found that PVC sheets are a great sacrifice surface, typically we use a 12mm or thicker surface and "shave-it" to keep it smooth.
then turn it over when there is too much damage.

gnubler

Awesome idea. Any pluses or minuses of using a darker color PVC? My cutting mat is filthy and makes my shop look run down.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
For the last eight years I've been using light grey (light green) HDPE 8x4 sheets, new ones every few years. 5mm and 3mm, with the rolling benches 10mm lower than the out table of the laminator, so a 2mm drop. When brand new, laminates grip it like crazy, but after a month they're lightly scored, and it works just fine (so new HDPE isn't sat right behind the laminator). We don't run roll to roll, so everything is either webbed up and fed with sheets of print, or lamination happens with sleds. We're low volume. 5mm is strong enough to span a couple of feet between benches when needed.
Surfaces are very regularly mopped down with IPA, which keeps things looking cleanish, and dust free.
I'd like to get a good source of neutral light grey HDPE, as the subtle green cast makes everything look slightly magenta.

Down side of a darker cutting mat is that on thinner materials, the print looks dark... In my dream world, I'd have a glass topped back lit table, with a light neutral translucent cutting mat for preciesely laying prints onto pre cut aluminium. Perhaps I need better dreams.

2B

Awesome idea. Any pluses or minuses of using a darker color PVC? My cutting mat is filthy and makes my shop look run down.
White is always in stock and cheaper for the needed 60x120 size. So never tried dark, unable to comment.

cleaning is easy, daily spray with "weasel p!ss" and good to go.
for "stains", a light sanding and that is gone

Last edited:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

we have found that PVC sheets are a great sacrifice surface, typically we use a 12mm or thicker surface and "shave-it" to keep it smooth.
then turn it over when there is too much damage.
how do you "shave" it?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I personally use a new thin snap-off blade extended fully, flex it so the blade lays flat on the table, and go over the needed areas
Another staffer here uses 80 grit sanding block
and another staff used a hand wood planer
I will be using the sandpaper method. We have a running joke in the shop about my knife weilding abilities. (I should have stock in bandaid)