• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting problem

shemeck

Hi.
I have a problem cutting shapes out of 3m adhesive transfer paper. My machine (MImaki CJV130-150) cuts the front and even the back carrier, but unfortunately the adhesive itself is not cut, therefore when I peel off the shape or the internal holes, the adhesive remains on the rear carrier. I am asking for help or any tips on how to fight it.

20211028_095817.jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What is the actual material, lexan? Ideally something like this would be cut on a flatbed cutter or at least a tangential roll cutter.

Can you increase the weight/pressure and number of cuts and see if it improves?

shemeck

I am not really sure what do you mean by actual material, this adhesive is like three layered "thing": backing carrier then glue then paper.
Problem is with glue which is sticking back after cut.
I was playing with lots of settings like weight/pressure etc. and nothing helped.
I remember our old machine Roland never had such a problem.
I will try with number of cuts as you mentioned, maybe that will help. Thanks for pointing this out.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Oh, sorry I didn't realize such a thing existed, with two liners and the adhesive in the middle. I've always used that material to back our lexan decals so it only had adhesive + 1 liner layer.

I can see how that would be challenging to cut, I imagine it's pretty soft and slippery to be running through the machine.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully adding more cuts makes a difference!

petepaz

we usually die cut our adhesive because that's what our applications require but we have done this on our plotter (roland) for small qty's. based on what you are showing could be a few things.
first not cutting deep enough, blade cutting too fast and getting the adhesive bunched up and the blade will hop leaving uncut areas or possibly a dull blade.

shemeck

Hi there, I was trying 30, 45, 60 degree blades.
Any way thanks all of you for help.
After fighting, the only way which seems to work is to put blade ridiculously far away from holder, it's cutting almost thru material but at least glue is not stuck back.