• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting shapes from 4mm Chloroplast

Chuck Taylor

Can anyone suggest a power hand tool (aside from a CNC) that could be used to easily cut semi-complex shapes out of a sheet of 4mm chloroplast?

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Jig saw finishing blades work well … but that’s limited, Xacto knives are similar to what flat bed cutters use for intricate cuts but the holding and pressure would be difficult to replicate.
Are you cutting print media or blanks?

Wall cutters would be next in line for straight cuts. Outside of that you’ll have to get into proper equipment for any real production.

Last edited:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Hard to beat an Xacto knife if you’re not using a cnc. Saws will mostly give you a rough, dusty edge.

Is this something we could help you with? We do custom Coro all day long.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Like firesprint said Xacto knifes gonna be best. Get the high strength blades they tend to last longer in Coro. Would be worth farming out if you want to offer it consistently. We tried doing it by hand but after a few jobs we had to spend the money for a flatbed cutter, took too long.

Wanted to add that even on a Cnc cutting Coro requires special blades and settings to get perfect.

Last edited:

Chuck Taylor

Xacto knifes? I use a utility knife because it's easier to put more pressure on. I only do it manually if I have a one or two.. more than that I outsource.
Thanks for your response - yes, it only a small amount of pieces that need to be cut - will try a utility knife and see how that works. If I find another solution that works better I'll post and let you know :)

Chuck Taylor

Like firesprint said Xacto knifes gonna be best. Get the high strength blades they tend to last longer in Coro. Would be worth farming out if you want to offer it consistently. We tried doing it by hand but after a few jobs we had to spend the money for a flatbed cutter, took too long.

Wanted to add that even on a Cnc cutting Coro requires special blades and settings to get perfect.
Thanks for your suggestion - it's just a few pieces so will hand cut with a knife, but if I do find a better solution, I'll post and let everyone know.

Chuck Taylor

Hard to beat an Xacto knife if you’re not using a cnc. Saws will mostly give you a rough, dusty edge.

Is this something we could help you with? We do custom Coro all day long.
Thanks for your suggestion - it's just a few pieces so will hand cut with a knife, but if I do find a better solution, I'll post and let everyone know. As we are located on the west coast of Canada it probably wouldn't make sense to have these done at your shop, but sincerely appreciate your response.

Chuck Taylor

Jig saw finishing blades work well … but that’s limited, Xacto knives are similar to what flat bed cutters use for intricate cuts but the holding and pressure would be difficult to replicate.
Are you cutting print media or blanks?

Wall cutters would be next in line for straight cuts. Outside of that you’ll have to get into proper equipment for any real production.
I am cutting printed media with rounded edges and some intricate shapes so I suppose we'll just use an Xacto knife as it's not a lot of pieces. Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.

gnubler

Signs365 or Firesprint do contour cuts from a full sheet, correct? Just set up a cut file and they'll ship you all the pieces.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I am cutting printed media with rounded edges and some intricate shapes so I suppose we'll just use an Xacto knife as it's not a lot of pieces. Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.
Fresh sharp blades, cut first face, then through corrugations and back face. Depending on your surgical skills, having the table clear so you can rotate the patient for the optimal cutting angle can help. If the radii are all the same, having a physical template for the rounded corners can make things more repeatable. I'm a big fan of 10A blades, but the snap off Olfa 30º blades are a great alternative, and the handles don't roll off the bench.