• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting software for Mac

WildWestDesigns

Could always see about setting up your cutter as a "printer" that accepts RAW HPGL and try to cut directly from your graphics program of choice using the "Print" function. If your plotter can accept RAW HPGL and parse what it needs from that. All the Rolands that I have dealt with can. This is what I do, exceptionally easy to setup on Linux, even via GUI (no CLI usage needed), however, don't know about Win/Mac as I started doing this when I moved from Win.

As a standalone or as a plugin for Inkscape, you have InkCut (install thru Brew and Pip(Python package manager)). I have used the Linux version and it isn't bad at all.

I think there is also EasyCutStudio, no experience with it or knowledge of how good it is, just an online search result.

Not knowing specifically what cutter you have (all I see are brands), makes it hard to suggest something that is for sure would work even if it does show brand support.

Don McCormick

I would recommend looking into Sure Cuts a Lot Pro. Although this is tpically a consumer software product, the PRO version is very powerful and works seamlessly with Adobe Illustrator. SCAL has a AI plugin that exports the file as a SVG and opens it into SCAL. There are a a limited number of cutter brands it supports, but I have used it on a ROLAND VG-640 and a 30” Silver Bullet. We also use Caldera (on a Mac) for print/cut on the VG-640 and Summa T2.

karst41

Thanks for the recommendations I have an iMac Loaded with a bazillion PS Fonts and they
do not load into a pc too well at all.

Don McCormick

If your fonts are .ps (postscript) format, you need to convert them to .ttf truetype to work properly on windows. There are a number of online converters. This is the one I use: https://convertio.co/ps-ttf/. This is not always 100% effective. Every now and again I get a font or font family that will not convert. Just a heads-up.

Attila Nagy

For Summa cutters You can Use MasSign and Macsign Illustrator Plugun. Can be registered with your Summa Cutter's Serial number.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Don McCormick said:
If your fonts are .ps (postscript) format, you need to convert them to .ttf truetype to work properly on windows. There are a number of online converters. This is the one I use: https://convertio.co/ps-ttf/. This is not always 100% effective. Every now and again I get a font or font family that will not convert. Just a heads-up.

Postscript Type 1 fonts can still be used in the Windows platform. However, they do not work in all applications on that platform. They still work in CorelDRAW, although CorelDRAW has its own font handling bugs. Adobe is ending support for Postscript Type 1 fonts in their applications, starting with Photoshop some time this year. By the end of 2022 none of Adobe's applications will support Type 1 fonts. PDFs with embedded Type 1 fonts will still be able to be viewed and printed.