• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Cutting Solution for Thicker Media

asare

Hi,

We've recently added some wide format printers to our shop to help with some in house projects. Additionally, my boss has purchased some roll-up banner stands in hopes of adding these to our product line.
Since none of our materials are the right width to match our stands, I was wondering what the process would normally be to trim them down to size.
Currently we have been cutting the materials by hand, but I was wondering if there was a more automated and precise solution to cut thicker and laminated materials such as this.

From my understanding, a cutter such as the Roland CAMM-1 GR-540 would not be sufficient. Is this a job for a flatbed cutter?

We hope to add more products for these printers down the line such as retail signage but I'm hoping to figure this out prior to getting into those

I am admittedly new to this industry so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Flatbed cutter.
Meanwhile a straight cutter or long cutting edge to cut with. Print to roll -> trim -> attach.

rjssigns

For now have your boss buy the correct width material for the banner stands. For trimming the ends I use a safety ruler and a Stanley Fat Max knife.
Other thing you could do is sub them out. I've done that in the past when I've been swamped. Can get the finished product delivered for less than the cost of materials. Can't remember which vendor I used though...

AGinVT

We have been using a 100" Keen Cut trimmer for years. It is a big item to lug around, but works well. Our shop just expanded into a neighboring building and we are adding a 120" table side trimmer for our new 5x10 table. Pretty excited about this addition.

Image 6-30-21 at 9.58 PM.jpg
Image 6-30-21 at 9.58 PM 2.jpg

msenjur

Hi,

We've recently added some wide format printers to our shop to help with some in house projects. Additionally, my boss has purchased some roll-up banner stands in hopes of adding these to our product line.
Since none of our materials are the right width to match our stands, I was wondering what the process would normally be to trim them down to size.
Currently we have been cutting the materials by hand, but I was wondering if there was a more automated and precise solution to cut thicker and laminated materials such as this.

From my understanding, a cutter such as the Roland CAMM-1 GR-540 would not be sufficient. Is this a job for a flatbed cutter?

We hope to add more products for these printers down the line such as retail signage but I'm hoping to figure this out prior to getting into those

I am admittedly new to this industry so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

how many rollups do you have? i cut them by hand, flatbed cutter is pretty expencive to buy just for banners.

asare

this would be a job for a flatbed cutter, but if you are not yet ready to invest in one a table top trimmer such as the Flecther Titan makes quick work of having to trim by hand
That looks perfect! I'll be ordering one later today. I didn't realize you were able to purchase table-top trimmers that were 100"+

We will be looking into getting an Electric Trimmer once we can better justify the cost. Does anyone have any experience with Royal Sovereign Trimmers?
I've been looking at this unit:

I appreciate all the advice as I was very curious how other shops finished their prints.