• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cyan Missing After Mainboard Repair (Roland SP-300v)

420Graphix

Hello everyone, need help with a strange issue I can't seem to diagnose.

I have a Roland SP-300v Versacamm.
Our blue and black print head stopped working so we did diagnostics.

After many tests of continuity on ribbons and syringing for clogs, we finally figured out it was a motherboard problem with the Transistors: C4131, and the Adjacent A1746. One Capacitor that led to the original head failure was also replaced, as well as the blown fuse for the head.

*Exact Repairs Include*

TR3 spot- C4131 Transistor
TR4 spot- A1746 Transistor
C47 spot- Capacitor
F2/F3 spots- Fuses

Printhead is firing again, however the blue not firing. I replaced captops, dampers, and attempted to syringe ink lines along with several cleanings, and even a head soak to see if it could be a clog, but still no blue in the test print.

Ink appears to be flowing through the blue head but wont show up in the test print. At this point I swapped the Ribbons from the other head and suddenly the Cyan appears in the nozzle test. Figured that means the ribbon for the blue head must be bad. Order 4 new ribbons and installed them (printer off of coarse). To no avail, the blue is still missing.

At this point I went back to the Mainboard to search for issues with the Multimeter. All replaced parts seem to be fine, as well as surrounding parts.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and know what else I could possibly do to alleviate the issue?

Prompt response would be the most helpful, been trying to solve this issue for weeks. Cant print projects that are already past due, so any helpful input would be life saving.

Thanks for your time.

*PS: Been a long time lurker on this forum, very helpful.

bigblocktrader

After many tests of continuity on ribbons and syringing for clogs, we finally figured out it was a motherboard problem with the Transistors: C4131, and the Adjacent A1746. One Capacitor that led to the original head failure was also replaced, as well as the blown fuse for the head.

*Exact Repairs Include*

C47 spot- Capacitor
F2/F3 spots- Fuses

Printhead is firing again, however the blue not firing. I replaced captops, dampers, and attempted to syringe ink lines along with several cleanings, and even a head soak to see if it could be a clog, but still no blue in the test print.

Ink appears to be flowing through the blue head but wont show up in the test print. At this point I swapped the Ribbons from the other head and suddenly the Cyan appears in the nozzle test. Figured that means the ribbon for the blue head must be bad. Order 4 new ribbons and installed them (printer off of coarse). To no avail, the blue is still missing.

At this point I went back to the Mainboard to search for issues with the Multimeter. All replaced parts seem to be fine, as well as surrounding parts.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and know what else I could possibly do to alleviate the issue?

Prompt response would be the most helpful, been trying to solve this issue for weeks. Cant print projects that are already past due, so any helpful input would be life saving.

Thanks for your time.

you may need to go into service mode and reset all parameters cap tops ect .. have you tried syringe directly from blue dampner

420Graphix

you may need to go into service mode and reset all parameters cap tops ect .. have you tried syringe directly from blue dampner

Yes ink is flowing from the head. If I swap the ribbons leading to the print heads, Cyan will come back, but I will lose whatever color is hooked to the Cyan slot on the board above the print heads.
I believe it to be an electrical issue, maybe beyond the transistors.

Karen-Kang

*Exact Repairs Include*

C47 spot- Capacitor
F2/F3 spots- Fuses

Thanks for your time.

exchange the head cables, like from yellow to blue to check if blue can print out.

420Graphix

Tried the swap already. Head seems fine, but whatever is hooked up to the blue port simply won't fire.
Someone said after the repair I may need to reinitialize the Main Board, as it my believe it does not intact have access to the head channel for some reason.
Managed to find the procedure in the Service Notes Manual,
however I lack the required PECK program to pull and replace the Firmware data necessary to attempt this.

Does this sound like it may be accurate information? If so would anyone know a way around the PECK, or how to check if this IS in fact the issue, BEFORE I reinstall firmware?

Ragnabrok

peck is for pulling parameters, which is all the settings for that printer (linear calibration, distance calibration, head rank, head adjust, cap adjust, force adjust, print/cut adjust, crop mark level just to name a few). Firmware can be added with the regular firmware program from rolanddga.com, as long as the printer is in firmware up mode (up left down + power i think). The peck tool will save several hours of manually adjusting everything again, but is not necessary.

That being said, the printer would simply not turn on if it needed a parameter initialize, it would just beep and say "SUM ERROR" on the screen. there isn't really anything outside of head rank that could make a head not fire if everything is otherwise fine. still an iffy connection somewhere?