• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

D160 "error" on PC

Tri-StateNeon

Morning Everyone!!

I am a newbie on this forum and decided to join for two reason. Most of all due to the fact that my Ol' PC'S motherboard that was running the 30" plotter went south Thursday.. Hard drive is fine and I was actually able to swap it out with another system that I have.. My Situation is this..

All com ports (2&4) are running fine when I do system checks on the OS (Win95, like I said ol' system,lol). I have the D160 Set up (no usb connection on this plotter) for serial port and the dongle on the parallel port but when ever I go into WinPlot and try to cut I get the error "Error reading communications port".. I've tried everything I can think of.. Changing the port parameters in Winplot, system parameters in Win 95 but to no avail. I always get this error.. And each time I make he changes I do a system reboot so that the changes can take effect cause I know Win95 has issues if you don't reboot.. I was hoping since it was the same hard drive that there would not be any issues but it seems as though for some reason Winplot is not reading the port??? any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanx soo much!!!

Of course the second reason is to network, learn and assist other is the sign industry

Pro Image

Check your port settings in your Winplot......The port # may not match what you have on the new board......You might have to re-assign your port #..........

OH and

Howdee from the other end of the state............

signage

What OS was on this system prior to swapping out hard drive? Sounds like you need drivers for the motherboard/com ports and windows 95!

Tri-StateNeon

Problem Solved

Now my life is a little easier now; Problem Solved. Thanx again for everyones assistance. It was greatly appreciated. After thinking more about it and all drivers/ports seemed to be functional. I took another look at the Bios in CMOS and there it was.. The little screen told me that the com ports would not function properly if "Plug & Play" was enabled. Once disabling the P&P - rebooted (crossed fingers,lol) & held my breath; opening WinPlot - gathering a small graphic, selecting it to cut;;;; I could hear the beautiful noise coming from my plotter.. Success!!!!

Thanx again Problem Solved...

Kirk