• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Daige Quickmount 3

Charlie J

is there a way to use this thing without a sled? i bought this thing and it didnt come with a user's manual and it works ok with a sled but its not happening without a sled.

GregT

I was told when I purchased mine that a sled was always needed. We have tried without and like you said "it's not happening"

GARY CULY

whats a sled? ive never used any "sled" i run 12 foot jobs through it everyday without a "sled?"
just wondering what a sled is really...

Hey Guys,
I'm just like Gary....what the heck is a sled?? I've never used anything...just start the media and keep going?? ours works ok?? we only laminate what we have to...nothing extra....still it works?

Fine Line Darrel

VISUALCONCEPTS

No Sled Needed

I Had Mine For One Year ,and It Was A Pain In The As-- Useing A
Sled , Then One Day This As-- Called .and The Tec Told Me ,get
A 4x8 Table Line It Up With The Machine,get The Right Down
Presure And Go For It!! Never Used A Sled Again,i Also Asked
About The Little Gray Spots He Called It Silvering Goes Away
In 24 Hours,what Did I Know!! If You Don't Ask Ya Don't Learn
Now Three Years Later The Same Machine ,and No Sled Needed

Graphics2u

No sled needed!

I used a Daige for 1 and 1/2 years before getting a bigger machine and never once used a sled! As long as I aligned everything up straight i could run 30' - 50' rolls through it! I made a supply roll holder in front of the machine and worked good to hold the material as it unrolled. Grantred the bottom roller being as soft as it is didn't allow for the pressure you can get with a sled, it still does work. I think it works best to use the same size laminate as the media you're laminating so that you don't have problems with the overlap on the edges. I still use and older 55" Daige today when I need it.

Tparkin

I have a Quickmount 4....with or without a sled it is complete poop. By far the worst investment I've ever made, and that's saying alot. I've wasted 5x the laminators worth in tracking problems, pressure problems, etc. But I'm stuck with it. It's like that little slow fat kid on the soccer team...only pass the ball to him if you absolutely have to...and then plan on losing the game.

PMG

Ive never used a sled.....never have a problem with mine..you haft to set it up correctly.........sometimes you haft to be smarter than what your working with!!!!! JK :thumb:

Graphics2u

I have a Quickmount 4....with or without a sled it is complete poop. By far the worst investment I've ever made, and that's saying alot. I've wasted 5x the laminators worth in tracking problems, pressure problems, etc. But I'm stuck with it. It's like that little slow fat kid on the soccer team...only pass the ball to him if you absolutely have to...and then plan on losing the game.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand when people post comments like this, I truly had nearly no problems with that machine. What problems exactly do you have?

Mine was a 38" Quickmount III (and the IV Version is even better) and for the money difference it worked great! It's a great starter machine, or if you don't have the funds immediately. You also can't expect a 1500.00 - 2000.00 laminator to be the same as it's nearest competition which cost at least twice as much.

I would be glad to talk to you and tell you what system I had for using it(not that I have the only correct way to use it, But it did work).

Replicator

the one time I tried running without a sled,
got some lam wrapped up in the roller and decided it would be a sled from now on !

Graphics2u

the one time I tried running without a sled,
got some lam wrapped up in the roller and decided it would be a sled from now on !

You can't run wider lam than your media if your going to not use a sled. Or you need to use a kraft paper backing( which doesn't always work well for me, too many wrinkles in the paper). It's hard to do that even on a expensive machine, too easy to get stuck to something you don't want it stuck too!

Tparkin

I'm sorry but I just don't understand when people post comments like this, I truly had nearly no problems with that machine. What problems exactly do you have?

Mine was a 38" Quickmount III (and the IV Version is even better) and for the money difference it worked great! It's a great starter machine, or if you don't have the funds immediately. You also can't expect a 1500.00 - 2000.00 laminator to be the same as it's nearest competition which cost at least twice as much.

I would be glad to talk to you and tell you what system I had for using it(not that I have the only correct way to use it, But it did work).

I wasn't trying to be argumentative but I have had nothing but issues with my 54". I've had my sign supply vendor's tech people here twice looking at it...talked to Daige directly and know for a fact that I am setting it up correctly. I didn't mean that it never works, I meant that it rarely if ever works consitently or properly on runs longer than 4 or 5 feet. My main issue is...the take up reel at the top constantly lifts itself from it position, which causes tracking issues. This is a problem that Daige admitted to when I talked to them. Their solution was to cram a few spacer washers in there until it stops doing that. Not acceptable...but I guess you get what you pay for.

So, no...it's not me...it's the POS machine.

Graphics2u

I wasn't trying to be argumentative but I have had nothing but issues with my 54". I've had my sign supply vendor's tech people here twice looking at it...talked to Daige directly and know for a fact that I am setting it up correctly. I didn't mean that it never works, I meant that it rarely if ever works consitently or properly on runs longer than 4 or 5 feet. My main issue is...the take up reel at the top constantly lifts itself from it position, which causes tracking issues. This is a problem that Daige admitted to when I talked to them. Their solution was to cram a few spacer washers in there until it stops doing that. Not acceptable...but I guess you get what you pay for.

So, no...it's not me...it's the POS machine.

I wasn't trying to go on the offensive there, I just read alot posts about this machine and it's problems, and I'd just like to help If I can.

I did not use the laminator as explained in Daige's instructions and frankly if anyone follows them I can see having a problem. I just came up with my own system that worked and stuck with it.

Sounds like there is an inherent problem with the take up reel on the new version. I redesigned the one on my QM III even putting a slip clutch on it to eliminate the jerking that was caused from the teeth on the belt jumping. But I hear that they don't use a cogged belt anymore either.

Just wanting to help if I can, and hate to see anyone have problems if it can be helped.

PMG

I run a figure 8 on my rolls not like whats in the manual it takes care of the roll lifting out ,it reverses the take up roll.......

Last edited:

Tparkin

PMG, that's interesting..gonna have to try that out. I can see how that would work...does it seem to go through belts quicker like that?