• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Days like today make me want to crawl back in bed.

Custom_Grafx

That would make for a pretty cool sign shop sitcom pilot. Excellent material.

Man the things we put up with hey... good thing is, things can only get better.

Bly

Sounds like the tail is wagging the dog there.

I hope you are charging enough to put up with that hoopla from these people.

Desert_Signs

It look like they are busting them for not stopping at the inpspection stations too. That is insane! I never stop at those even though I drive a registered business vehicle. I do quite a bit of work on the ca az border I think I'll just stay on the ca side.

http://kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=46337

It's kind of tricky. In AZ, they can't just make the law simple.

At first glance it appears any vehicle is a commercial vehicle if registered commercially. Except it's not.

28-5201. Definitions

(L08, Ch. 147, sec. 3)

In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:

1. "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles that is designed, used or maintained to transport passengers or property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise on a highway in this state, that is not exempt from the gross weight fees as prescribed in section 28-5432, subsection B and that includes any of the following:

See that bold part? Are you exempt from gross weight fees? Lets check

B. This article does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly referred to as a station wagon or to a vehicle commonly known as and referred to by the manufacturer's rating as a three-quarter ton or less pickup truck or three-quarter ton or less van unless such a vehicle is maintained and operated more than one thousand hours in a vehicle registration year for the transportation of passengers or property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. An applicant requesting title or registration of a motor vehicle in the name of a commercial enterprise shall pay the fees imposed by this article unless the applicant certifies on the application that the vehicle will not be maintained and operated in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.

So, if you have a station wagon, 3/4 ton or less pickup or van, it's not commercial if you use it and maintain it less than 1000 hours per year. Can you say for sure you use it less than 1000 hours per year? You probably do, if you are somewhere around 20k miles.

However, did you notice it doesn't say anything about SUV's or passenger cars? If you have an old Honda Accord you use primarily for deliveries, it is considered a commercial vehicle.

Poorly written laws suck.

All that said, who actually has to stop at a commercial vehicle checkpoint?

Who knows. I've called several stations and get a different answer everytime. I can't find it in the law anywhere. I can't find it on the ADOT or DPS website.

I just blow by, since by law, my truck isn't considered a commercial vehicle as near as I can tell....

Tigertron

And then the judge says ignorance of the law is no excuse. But you have to be a friggin lawyer to even understand it. So every person who is not a lawyer should have a lawyer on retainer or better yet with them at all times to advise them of their ignorance.

Oh man. That to me looks like deceit and trickery possibly entrapment. There should be a law against *that*. How does this stuff get in the books in the first place.

WildWestDesigns

So, if you have a station wagon, 3/4 ton or less pickup or van, it's not commercial if you use it and maintain it less than 1000 hours per year. Can you say for sure you use it less than 1000 hours per year? You probably do, if you are somewhere around 20k miles.

It might still get the 3/4 ton trucks with diesel (or vans with diesels) that like to idle their vehicles. Hopefully the owners aren't idling if they have an EGR valve on that particular diesel, but that's another issue.

wildside

How does this stuff get in the books in the first place.

make sure you vote in your next elections.....:thumb:

dumb laws are dumb laws made by a group of people not willing to actually figure it out, but just squeeze it in before the next "legislative break"

there is a law here that you can't tie up your horse in front of the saloon downtown..... i once heard about a law that you can't mow your lawn topless......don't remember where that was though

oh, and as far as him yelling at you, not your problem, if he puts lettering on his truck and didn't know he couldn't, not your problem that he isn't on the up and up with his business parameters..... been there, like i know what the laws are three states over when he was traveling to see his niece....:peace!:

WildWestDesigns

oh, and as far as him yelling at you, not your problem, if he puts lettering on his truck and didn't know he couldn't, not your problem that he isn't on the up and up with his business parameters..... been there, like i know what the laws are three states over when he was traveling to see his niece....:peace!:

Usually those things can be challenged successfully though. Typically states will honor other state laws when it makes it to court. Just like in TN, if you are hauling a trailer, you don't have to have a tag on it as long as it's less then 150 mile radius from your home. Now in AL as far as I know, supposed to be tagged period.

I'm not saying you won't get a ticket, but you should be able to fight it. Now the cost of driving, or flying, back out there may not be worth it (and probably what they are counting on), but usually those things can be fought.