• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC4 -- printing individual C/M/Y/K?

meltsner

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to print just ONE of the process colors from CDX4 to the DC4. I have the (I believe correct) palette in Corel, but C, M, Y, or K are not in the list. Is there a way to get them there? (besides changing color code in ColorControl)

Also, I have some "strange" colors -- namely Corel Black, Corel White, Corel Red, Corel Green, and Corel Blue. Did I add these inadvertently at some point or are these installed default with Summa?

Thanks!

edit -- this is strange, I just now looked and a "cyan" spot color is at the bottom of the list now. Funny, somehow I guess I'm adding those.....

PGSigns

When you installed everything that came with your DC4 you installed the color palets. If you draw a box, and select the fill color from the docker you will get a choice of the palet to use. If you select the cmyk palet you will have all the cmyk colors there. If you lelect the summa palet then it will have all the summa spot colors listed and also the color you need to assign to your contour cuts so the printer will see that it is a cut line.
Jimmy

meltsner

I might just then try reinstalling from the Summa Printer Tools (i think it's called?).

If I understand you right, process -- CMYK -- colors are NOT part of the Summa palette? I guess I'll have to create them manually if not there after reinstalling the palette.
Thanks!

Chris Lovelady

you need to call summa they can help you install the pallet..yes you can mix CMYK colors but you will need that pallet to print individual Process colors.

we have been printing the summa for 5 years now...e-mail me if you need some help.

Lovelady
chris@vitalsignsllc.com

garisimo

There's an easy method for printing the process colors as spot colors. Let's say you wish to print Black as a spot; create a spot color in your design program and name it BlackSpot or something along those lines -- now, when you open the file in ColorControl and activate the Color tab, you will see the BlackSpot color listed, with Color ID set to Unknown. Click on the word Unknown, and change it to the number 4 (that's Summa's color chip number for black). Everywhere you have designated BlackSpot will now print using the Black ribbon cartridge. I do this on a regular basis, and it works very well.

You can also use ColorControl to change one spot color to another; we were having issues with Tomato Red (#13) and had to switch to Red (#5); by changing the number from 13 to 5 in the Color tab I didn't have to re-save a bunch of files already created in the system.

Hope that helps!

-G-

meltsner

Thanks for the instructions garisimo. I somehow must have added "Corel Black" (along with some others) and now I have some files using Corel Black, some using Black, and some a mixture -- which I have to fix first thing. The only problem is the warning that comes up -- "1. no printer specified 2. file has a spot color of black also used as a process color" (or something like that, I see it enough I should know it backwards and forwards by now). Of course I can't print until I fix it.
I do really need to delete the Corel one (always comes up as unknown in CC, have to assign it "4").

Another minor thing for your wishlist -- ColorControl should memorize custom color's foil numbers! Maybe possible, but I haven't seen so yet.

garisimo

Glad to help!

I have similar issues with multiple blacks appearing in documents (usually due to my laziness in selecting whatever color is nearest the mouse)... One good method for finding the odd color in your document, at least in Illustrator (I'm not too versed in Corel) is to select the color and then change it to something odd (like magenta, or lime green) -- then it will stick out like a neon light in your design.

Cheers!

-g-