• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Decision: CNC Router or small digital printer?

TimToad

Here is the response I posted to another person wondering if a CNC was right for them. With the family doubts, your own admitted motivation questions, the reality of resale value of equipment during a business purchase, depreciation, etc. I'm even more convinced that a person in your situation should long and hard before dedicating that much space, investment capital, learning curve, etc. to such a powerful and large investment.

"I'm not trying to scare you off buying one, just hoping you'll consider the following.

Our shop on average does a couple routed HDU signs per month, several custom shape cut panels from a variety of materials, etc. and we still can't justify the purchase of one. Our next door neighbor is a custom woodworking shop with a 5'x10' AXYZ, 8 tool changer, multizone vacuum, 10hp cutter who gives us a reasonable wholesale rate and has all the above mentioned issues AND maintenance, bits, payments, insurance, etc. to worry about.

We only have a 2,500 square foot shop and at times it barely fits all we have going on. They do all of their own work on it, our work and the routing work of several other local businesses and there are times when it sits idle.

Do you already have the workload to justify its purchase and dedicated space to accommodate a machine that is:

A.) Big
B.) Loud
C.) Consumes lots of energy
D.) Throws a lot of dust and particulate into the air no matter how good of a vacuum system you purchase
E.) Requires a person capable of operating a complex and potentially dangerous tool that includes some degree of computer knowledge along with being able to look at files and properly prep them for pathcutting.
F.) Has constant upkeep issues to deal with in order to preserve its value and functionality."

Cyclynn

Here is the response I posted to another person wondering if a CNC was right for them. With the family doubts, your own admitted motivation questions, the reality of resale value of equipment during a business purchase, depreciation, etc. I'm even more convinced that a person in your situation should long and hard before dedicating that much space, investment capital, learning curve, etc. to such a powerful and large investment.

"I'm not trying to scare you off buying one, just hoping you'll consider the following.

Our shop on average does a couple routed HDU signs per month, several custom shape cut panels from a variety of materials, etc. and we still can't justify the purchase of one. Our next door neighbor is a custom woodworking shop with a 5'x10' AXYZ, 8 tool changer, multizone vacuum, 10hp cutter who gives us a reasonable wholesale rate and has all the above mentioned issues AND maintenance, bits, payments, insurance, etc. to worry about.

We only have a 2,500 square foot shop and at times it barely fits all we have going on. They do all of their own work on it, our work and the routing work of several other local businesses and there are times when it sits idle.

Do you already have the workload to justify its purchase and dedicated space to accommodate a machine that is:

A.) Big
B.) Loud
C.) Consumes lots of energy
D.) Throws a lot of dust and particulate into the air no matter how good of a vacuum system you purchase
E.) Requires a person capable of operating a complex and potentially dangerous tool that includes some degree of computer knowledge along with being able to look at files and properly prep them for pathcutting.
F.) Has constant upkeep issues to deal with in order to preserve its value and functionality."

Geepers... those are all really good points. I actually already have a workload that is full to capacity, and I don't really enjoy spending much time servicing machines. I had a fella here locally that wanted to do the work for me, and we started out really well... then he got too busy, and I couldn't count on him getting anything done in a time frame that worked for me. I want to be able to offer that on my signs, and would prefer a subcontractor, now that you point out all the nitty-gritties.

Mainframe

I think you should get a printer, if you are making all your signs with cut vinyl, that is the reason you are tired, I bought a new VP 540 10 years ago, when i got it, I was very apprehensive, wondering how am I going to pay the monthly lease payment, what if it breaks, what if I make a mistake and crash the heads, where will all the print work come from and on and on, well the gloom and doom never came, in 3 months I was wondering how I ever did without it.

I too was subbing out my printing and yikes it was a nightmare sometimes, a printer could open up a whole new world for you, I now have a True Vis and it prints so well the solid colors look exactly like cut vinyl, you can laminate with a big squeegee, and my TrueVis cuts dead on like a dream, I suggest you get a printer but NOT a small one, get a 54" one, so you can print a 36, or 48" banner, a small printer will not print either one of those, and 2- 4x12 banners could pay your payment for the month.

You are beating your head against a rock if you are trying to make signs today without a printer, also if you want to break into the residential market you could make small driveway name signs with wood and stone backgrounds on polymetal and cut them to shape with a hand jig saw, getting a printer would be the breath of fresh air your shop needs, just DON'T get a small one, you will regret it. my printer has a take up on it, the last time I printed banners, I put 12 of them in the print que and spent the morning out on the bucket truck, when I came back they were all printed, I was making money 2 places at once, doesn't always happen but when it does, well after all it's all about the money.