• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Depreciating Equipment?

Sven

Just wondering how people are depreciating their equipment. Do you use a fixed percentage of the purchase price per year or a fixed amount or what?
Thanks.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Key is determining the realistic life of the equipment. We generally do 5 years for digital print equipment, 7 years for plotters and cutters. I think 7 years is the max. Then we split the purchase price evenly among the years. I would advise consulting with an accountant.

visual800

my cpa does all this for me and I have no idea what she does, all I do is give the infor she wants as to what equip I have

WildWestDesigns

Key is determining the realistic life of the equipment. We generally do 5 years for digital print equipment, 7 years for plotters and cutters. I think 7 years is the max. Then we split the purchase price evenly among the years. I would advise consulting with an accountant.

This is straight line depreciation here. Probably the most commonly used when depreciating equipment. At least, that's what I would think.

Double Declining is another. I believe that's were more is taking out on the front end.

Depending on how old the machine is right now, it might just be better (or necessary) to expense it all right then and there.

Best to consult with a CPA to figure out all the variables and which method would net you the most value.