• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design: How to?

DRD0198

I have been doing design work for about 5yrs now on the computer, I ran across this project the other day. the guy calls me and gets a quote for the bed of his truck that he wants wrapped the exact same way as his other truck I told him I could do my best to get it as close as I can. now for the last 5 yrs I have been working on my google and youtube certificate for design. and this seems like it should be easy I just need a little more help pointed in the right direction of how to do this because at first glance I thought they were vector images. but the rat looks to be like its an actual picture just in a black and red format am I wrong? so now I believe all the pests are actual pictures just converted to a black and red format? so if somebody can help get me going in the right direction I use adobe illistrator for designing i would greatly appriciate it.

Attachments

• victoryPest.jpg
    victoryPest.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 735

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Yeah, the rat and bugs in the wrap design are specific images, not pieces of vector clip art. Obviously it would be a serious challenge to track down the exact same images used in the existing wrap designs. There are different methods how to convert color images to look black and white while still preserving a rich black color (as opposed to just converting the images to 8-bit grayscale that won't have blacks as deep). In Illustrator you can apply transparency blending modes to the image (such as multiply) to make the white in the image turn into the red background color. The same work can be done in Photoshop; just bring the finished composite image into Illustrator and clip it inside the red shape spanning the pickup bed.

victor bogdanov

i would in PS make the animal images grayscale, adjust curves to get the desired 2 color effect, then select (select-color range) and delete white. Paste the images on the red background in illustrator, done

Stacey K

I like making signs
If you go on Shutterstock, search "spider isolated", etc. this will pull up the below. As for making them black and white, someone else can explain that, it looks like they also added a transparency. In my experience, most people are perfectly fine with "getting close" which I think the below are. It looks like that mouse might be eating, you could search "mouse eating isolated".
1669815988116.png
1669816065858.png
1669816173977.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
As for the black and red...you can get that super close. Just upload the photo to scale and draw the lines. Victor has the right method for making the bug black and red. I think you will be surprised how quickly you can do this :)

DRD0198

I appreciate the responses I have not used much of PS but I do have it so I will be working on this today if I have any other questions ill be sure to ask!!

DRD0198

i would in PS make the animal images grayscale, adjust curves to get the desired 2 color effect, then select (select-color range) and delete white. Paste the images on the red background in illustrator, done
Thanks For your advise after a little youtube video on how to use the color range I was able to get the job done pretty easily

jfiscus

Rap Master
You want to use transparency settings to get the appropriate black to red fade. In Illustrator you will put the images (grayscale) over the red and change the transparency to something like Multiply or darken, etc (whichever looks better).

In photoshop you can make each image a duotone image with the same red-black color scale instead of a standard white-black color scale.
You could also use a Gradient Map adjustment layer in Photoshop to effect all layers below it at once to be sure they all blend the exact same way.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Whenever I have to take a color image and "convert" it to black and white I prefer using other approaches rather than simply throwing away 2 or 3 of the color channels to end up with an 8-bit grayscale image. Blacks will not print deep black from a simple grayscale image. A visually black and white image that still has RGB or CMYK channels can have deeper looking blacks. The easiest thing to do (in Photoshop) is use the Desaturate command and then do a bit of adjustment work with curves or the brightness & contrast sliders.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Looks to me that with these images in photoshop, select their layer and use the dropdown on the layers tab and select either multiply, linear burn or darken. Can't remember if they need to be above the red layer or behind it or if it even matters.