• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designjet 500 Error codes

Fishbones

So I know this printer is quite old but it has been a work horse for me. That said, I am getting some error codes. So I got the 61:05 error code...did a print head check and came back that I had a bad black print head....so thats ordered and hoping that will fix this code.
I also got a 79:04 error code and have no idea what this could be.....something about "Firmware Error"....went through the troubleshooting steps and cant get anywhere. Has anyone ever had the 79:04 error code???
Please help! Thanks

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You can call this guy he might be able to help you out. His name is Matt 714-916-7728 hope it helps.

Barber

System error 79:04 "Firmware Error", indicates the HP Designjet 800 or 500 series printer experienced an unexpected error and could not continue. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem.
Troubleshooting HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer functionality
Turn off and turn on the HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer. If the error persists, go to Step 3.
Send a test print from the printer driver. If it prints successfully, go to software troubleshooting . If it is unsuccessful, proceed to Step 3.
Turn off the HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer and disconnect the parallel cable and any network cables, leaving only the power cable connected.
Turn the HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer on and send the Troubleshooting Print from the Ink System menu of the front panel. If the Troubleshooting Test Print is successful, go to troubleshooting connection . If the error reappears when performing the Troubleshooting Print, there may be a hardware problem with the printer.
Remove any additional memory. Send the Troubleshooting Print.
CAUTION: Before handling a memory module, HP Jetdirect or accessory card, put on a grounding wrist strap and attach the end to the metal chassis of the printer. If a wrist strap is not available, touch the outer metal surface of the printer with your hand. Otherwise, static electricity from your body could cause damage.
Remove the HP Jetdirect card if installed. Send the Troubleshooting Print.
Remove the HP-GL/2 Accessory card if installed. Send the Troubleshooting Print.
Check for a new release of the firmware and upgrade to the latest version if needed.
If the error persists, press the MENU button when the error appears to obtain further information for HP Customer Care technical support.

Fishbones

thanks Bigfish i will give him a call if I can't figure this thing out.
Barber, the only problem with these steps is that I don't know where the memory cards are located.......I'm not able to test print.