• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Didn't notice ruined Laminating roller when purchased at auction.

Regarding ROyal Soveriegn RSL-2701 "School" Laminator, 27"

Obviously there was not oportunity for me to try before buy and I didn't notice that the upper laminating roller or "feed" roller has loose rubber on it. I am actually new to laminating (the name Mike the Laminator is sarcasm). I am very adapt at fixing equipment but I can vulcanize rubber onto a roller or anything like that so before I pay $400 for either a used roller or recoating this one, I need to know if this is a sign that something more serious is wrong with the machine, like it overheating or something. I do not know how it was used or abused in the past.

I can tell you that the machine never lights up as preheated properly. It just keeps flashing regardless of temperature, and the upper roller feels hotter than the lower one when I hold my finger half an inch from it (I know that isn't very scientific testing) yet despite the loose and curled up rubber on the roller, the posters I have tried laminating (just inkjet paper, 24 lb) come out close to perfect, just wrinkling on the sides a bit and occasionally a wrinkle in the middle…not bad if you knew just HOW incredibly loose the rubber is on roller. I mean it can be pulled out 3/4" from the core with fingers before machine is turned on.

Advice? I can get my money back on the laminator if I want to travel all the way back to where I bought it, because the previous owner magnanimously offered money back guarantee on everything sold from the auction, which is very unusual, but I have also been offered to pay half of the parts cost if all that is needed is just the one roller to fix it. SO does anyone have an educated guess if replacing the roller will do the trick?

Holy funny! I’m new to the group and just stumbled onto your post. I may have new replacement rollers for you! I’ll check details tomorrow (Sunday). I picked up a 27 I think a few years back and got a new set in box still with it. I can’t throw stuff like that away even though I sold the laminator long ago.
I’m in Burlington Ontario. Let me know if it’s way to far to bother or not.

Holy funny! I’m new to the group and just stumbled onto your post. I may have new replacement rollers for you! I’ll check details tomorrow (Sunday). I picked up a 27 I think a few years back and got a new set in box still with it. I can’t throw stuff like that away even though I sold the laminator long ago.
I’m in Burlington Ontario. Let me know if it’s way to far to bother or not.

Oh, that is awesome. That is within driving distance for me once the social distancing orders are lifted. Or I can pay for shipping. A complete set would be even better than the one roller just in case there is damage I don't know about. Let me know how much you want for it and the size and weight aqnd I will check what shipping costs would be. Might not be that much more than cost for me to drive from St. Thomas, but it might be. No way to know without checking. You are a life saver…and what are the odds we would be so close.