• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Camera Opinions

jayhawksigns

I am looking at picking up a digital camera for myself next month and wondered if any of the photography aficionado here could recommend some cameras to look at. Here are some things I am looking for.

At least a 5 MP+
10x optical zoom or more
tif as a file format, having raw would be nice too
Kind of like to keep it at $500 or less for the camera

Looked at the Sony DSC-H1, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Minolta Dimage Z6, and Panasonic Lumix FZ30

Any recommendations and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

WVB

Check out Steve's Digicams for reviews etc. There was another site that was mentioned by another forum member here but don't remember what it was. Do a search for this topic and it should pull up. I use a Pentax Optio S4 (4mp)and it works perfect for my needs. It does the tiff, raw images and will fit inside an Altoids mint can.

cdsgraphic

Don't Rule out this new kodak P850, as soon as soom of the "official" reviews come out, this is the one I'm getting. So far it seems like a great camera and is right on pair with everyone else. I may be a bit biased though, I like the color the kodak digi's have over others. I know everybody thinks the canons are so great, but I was never impressed with their picture colors, even on the top end models.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_p850.asp

this is also a great place to get info on the other cameras you mentioned

Barry

Also check out www.DPreview.com. There is more information there than any where on the net about digitial cameras.

I would say the Canon Digital Rebel XT is probably the best bang for the buck camera on the market at the moment. It is an 8MP camera with interchangable lenses (Standard Canon lenses work). Its a little over your budget at about $750 without lens. It is however well worth the extra $$$ expecially since you do large format printing.

I have a very similar camera Canon D60 which is a few years old and only 6mp, but here are a few pictures as examples of what a camera like this can do.

mark.jpg

ren5.jpg

This one is a bit big so click on it... :)
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1/evilcart.jpg

I also do a little bit of product photography. Click this one also as its big
http://www.mgwltd.com/images/t-56.jpg

Plane and simple an SLR style camera can do much more than a point and shoot.. The only downfall is you cant put these in your pocket.

Pierja

I have been using Olympus the last 3 years and have been very pleased. We have a Olympus c-5060 thats 5.1 megapixels and its been very durable and takes great pics. We just purchased a Olympus Evolt E-300 SLR digital camera its 8.0 megapixels and the pictures are great. I have taken pics that are only 72res and the detail is amazing.

jayhawksigns

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would love a SLR also, just don't know about spending THAT much. My dad has a Canon 35mm with three or four lenses, so if those would interchange, it wouldn't be as big of a hit on the wallet initially, but since this is purely for personally use, I think that I will probably not go that route.

The P850 does look nice, but as of right now, the front runner is probably the Panasonic, but its still up in the air right now.

Barry

If you use it for business its an expense and can be deducted from your taxes. You have a perfectly legitimate reason to use it for business... :)

Yamalube

Consumer Reports

The November 05 issue of consumer reports has a big write up on Digital cameras. They rated the panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20S the best Super-Zoom camera.

jayhawksigns

I'll go pick up that magazine, I wonder if they had the FZ30 to review when they were doing it? Every review I have seen places the FZ30 over the FZ20. Definitely have to check it out.

Zardoz_Canada

I have to agree regarding the rebel...it's an awesome camera if you have the money & time to play with it. I have a friend who does professional photo's and loves the camera.

Myself, I am a point & shoot guy. I really don't have the time or patience to learn about different lensed, f-stops, iso, etc.

You might want to have a look at pcworlds reviews http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,122107,00.asp

I find their pretty comprehensive on their reviews.