• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Direct Printing to Corrugated Plastic!!!

Hello All -

I'm trying to direct print onto 4MM white corrugated plastic (correx/corroplast/etc.) with a FujiFilm Acuity X flatbed, however when printing onto the corroplast we see several surface flaws and fingerprints around the edges of the substrate. We ordered a fresh pallet of material (to try and cut down on finger prints/scuffs on material before it arrives in our facility where we can do our own quality control), however it wasn't a fresh pallet and there are finger prints all over the edges and scuff marks show up all over the material... My questions are:

1) How does someone print direct to corruagted plastic with a FujiFilm Acuity (running KI inks) and get a good quality print? Do you have issues with finger prints showing up, scuff marks?

2) We are using a stock profile made by the people who installed our FujiFilm Acuity and the print doesn't look very saturated and colorful (granted the artwork is very light green/yellow), but do all prints look washed out on corrugated plastic when direct printed? Would we see benefits making our own profile? We are using the Colorgate RIP and we tried several different modes - Fine Art, Production, and Quality (with a quality multiple layers).

Thanks in advance for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!!!

DSGI!

jonpitts

I run an Acuity Advance Select with KI inks as well. When printing to corrugated plastic I first wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol. Let it dry, blow off with air. I have achieved great adhesion with this ink set so I tend to stay away from the adhesion promoters. I created a profile for the corrugated we run (basic stuff from MidWest Sign) It was created on quality mode in Colorgate. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice!

@jonpitts -

Thanks for the response - I ended up reworking my ICC profile in a "production" mode on the Colorgate Rip and am now able to produce good results (I use the term good loosely since it's corroplast).

Thanks again and best of luck!

DSGI!