• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discoloration on random prints- RIP problem or Printer?

HollisterSignCo

Hello all- been watching these forums for some time and hoped i'd never have to post for myself, but here I am! Issues...

I have a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor and I use Flexi 8.1 to print. Lately i've been having trouble printing at random times. On the right side of some prints it will be lighter/discolored or blotchy/ghosting like my heads aren't clean, but it's not consistent. I've done nozzle checks and know my heads are ok. My black head is on it's way out, but if this were a consistent issue i'd know it was isolated to that. It doesn't happen on every print, just random. I thought maybe it was restricted to the first 12" or so on the right side of my printer like my ink lines were getting pinched or something on that side, but i've moved the image all the way to the left and still get the discoloration. Hopefully i've explained it enough to where someone can pick up on what i'm describing. I'm attempting to upload a photo as well for refeference.

Attachments

• Mutoh_Image Ghosting.jpg
    Mutoh_Image Ghosting.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 269

4R Graphics

I am not sure what your problem is but here is an idea maybe the rip has gotten corrupted try uninstalling and reinstalling the rip.

Also you say that it does not happen on all prints is it perhaps a set file type that is doing this?

or a set file type from one program ie tiff made in photoshop or pdf from illustrator only just a thought.

What about material? have you tried a different material?

Sorry cant be more help.

HollisterSignCo

I tried a few different file types.... .eps, .tiff, .psd, from vector to rasterized. Getting the same problem in different areas of the print (right side only however). Very odd. I didn't try a different material though... good call. I'll give that a shot. I use Orajet for day to day printing and haven't had trouble with it until now. I may have to try re-installing the production manager/RIP as well.

Integrity Color

Did you figure it out? If not, you could take a look at the way you're loading the material. If the media isn't loaded perfectly straight (ie. skewed) from the roll to the pinch rollers you'll get inconsistent feed on part of the media due to excess (or lack of) tension. When loaded skewed, one side of the media bears all of the tension from the weight of the roll, while the other side is slack.... this can translate into the symptoms you described.

HollisterSignCo

Still didn't figure it out. The media seemed OK, not loaded wrong. I tried other media and was getting the same issue. It's very random, so i've been able to get away with it until my new problem- my pump went, and I can't clean my heads.... yay. Time to refurbish the machine and hopefully my other issues will smooth out as well.

Thanks for the reply!

SIROD

Do you print always with the same settings??

I mean if you try to print at high speed then at high quality you could check if there is a damper problem (maybe its broken and is not able to give all the ink the printhead needs)

Printing full color squares (Red, Cyan, Magenta, Black...) could help, You will see if there is a single color problem