• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

disposal fees

Illuminator

Hello,

i just did a dumb thing and posted this request to another forum, hopefully i am not banished for my carlessness.

Anyway i was hoping to get some ideas on how to price disposal of removed signs. i have an opportunity for a sizable project and one component of my bid is removal and disposal, typically i have always charged $150 to $200 for disposal depending on quantity. we usually recycle most parts of the sign but it still cost to have an employee cut down faces and breakdown the signs and the few hundred bucks covers that. we also pick up some recycle income when we get enough to take in.

My question is what does everyone else do on this? any help or direction is most appreciated.

Thanks
illuminator

N2Harpz

We charge around $100. But 95% of the time the client says to just leave it , cause they don't want to pay the extra money.

John L

Same here. Labor rate X #hours to remove from the building. And we add $75 per raceway for disposal within reason. We once hauled an entire 1900 linear foot shopping center, 40 some stores, worth of old surface mount CL's and thats when we discovered selling the old transformers to recyclers. You do need to charge for disposal though, because as eluded to here, the aluminum and transformers aren't worth much even after the labor to clean them for recycling.

Your location says Mt Vernon. If you are in Mount Vernon, Virginia... PM me for the number of a transformer recycler that will buy from you.

UFB Fabrication

I dont know how much poly carb and plexi you trash but we have a company that drops containers and pays for shipping back and forth. They sort it weigh it and send us a check. Beats paying for our trash service hauling it away and is green to boot. We also have a dumpster for steel but alum is kept inside to keep the thieves at bay.

Illuminator

thanks for the replies, sounds like we all have the same situation etc. i had thieves steal the wire off my trucks.