• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question DIY Textured Wall Tools???

IVURI

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has made their own textured wall installation tools, because the "pro" tools available are wildly overpriced, for what seems like a basic foam roller.

What alternative tools do you use for textured walls?

Thanks!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has made their own textured wall installation tools, because the "pro" tools available are wildly overpriced, for what seems like a basic foam roller.

Thanks!
Invest in yourself. Its enterprising to come up with solutions, but having a good set of tools to make money with is essential.

IVURI

I'm trying to find more affordable tool alternatives, not bend to the strong arm of tool companies.

I was hoping someone had a suggestion like, "I made my own tool, using..." or "I use this less expensive tool, from this store, it works well for me..."

I understand I could just buy the expensive tool, but that's not the point of this post.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm trying to find more affordable tool alternatives, not bend to the strong arm of tool companies.

I was hoping someone had a suggestion like, "I made my own tool, using..." or "I use this less expensive tool, from this store, it works well for me..."

I understand I could just buy the expensive tool, but that's not the point of this post.
Good Luck. We have created our own tools for projects but we always have a basis of great tools to work with. You said those tools are just foam rollers, so head on over to the home depot and grab a few and go to town.

IVURI

Thank you for your expert input, your comments were very helpful and added value to this discussion.

ym9cy8ch9m221.jpg

Bly

lol love it when a noob gets butthurt over opinions he didn't ask for.

You're new to the internet right?

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can use the Rollepro, GeekWraps has a few tools that work well, and also Yellotools. Lots of options out there at various prices. A favorite go-to is the bill collector as it works well even on textured surfaces.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The foam rollers from Home Depot work well on many surfaces, our installers love them on rivets and other surfaces. Just take a browse around the hardware stores and see what you can find/re-purpose.

JPR-5690

lol to people getting up in arms but I get where the OP is coming from.

we rarely do installation but I’d love to be able to do some wall murals or stuff around the shop. it’s hard to justify spending the money on 3M installation tools when it’s not something we’d really get any return on so it’d be nice to know what tools out there will get the job done when there isn’t a need for the premium option.

there’s no sense in buying a truck when you can just rent a uhaul

Signior-Print

Thanks!

Sorry to necro thread this, but I found a sweet tool.
I too was looking at the price of the rollepro tools and thought, that's a lot for a foam roller.
Found this thread, tried a few things, 8 hours into the internet rabbit hole later I thought I found something...
And I was right, $13 shipped for a semi-soft foam brayer, got it in the mail today, and it works great on a high-tack vinyl over a matte painted brick wall.

I thought it would be too soft and not deep enough, but it's a simple device that is well built and hard enough to really press on, but soft enough to get those deep textured surfaces sealed in.
Has a wooden core, metal handle, and an overall slimmer profile than the rollepros.

https://www.amazon.com/Semi-Soft-Extra-Fine-Foam-Brayer-Inches/dp/B0042SSZX0

The brand is "School Specialty" and I saw them around for as little as $8 before shipping, 4.5" roller, has a looped handle so if you wanted you can loop it over your middle finger to hold it backwards and use your palm for pressure too, kinda cool!

thumbnail-image-67205633.jpg

Last edited:

Bobas Kalobas

Thanks!
I am going to get one of them brayers, Thanks!

Bobas Kalobas

Sorry to necro thread this, but I found a sweet tool.
I too was looking at the price of the rollepro tools and thought, that's a lot for a foam roller.
Found this thread, tried a few things, 8 hours into the internet rabbit hole later I thought I found something...
And I was right, $13 shipped for a semi-soft foam brayer, got it in the mail today, and it works great on a high-tack vinyl over a matte painted brick wall.

I thought it would be too soft and not deep enough, but it's a simple device that is well built and hard enough to really press on, but soft enough to get those deep textured surfaces sealed in.
Has a wooden core, metal handle, and an overall slimmer profile than the rollepros.

https://www.amazon.com/Semi-Soft-Extra-Fine-Foam-Brayer-Inches/dp/B0042SSZX0

The brand is "School Specialty" and I saw them around for as little as $8 before shipping, 4.5" roller, has a looped handle so if you wanted you can loop it over your middle finger to hold it backwards and use your palm for pressure too, kinda cool!

thumbnail-image-67205633.jpg
I GOT IT!! the foam wheels for remote control planes! Its perfect! ..i happen to have a buncha RC models. :)