• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Do 5'x3' Corrugated Plastic or ACM Signs Need Plywood Support?

PeterR

Hello all,

For 5' x 3' signs made of either corrugated plastic or ACM panels, do they need to be back-supported by a sheet of plywood or something to withstand wind etc or will screwing them directly to a frame of the same size be enough to keep them in place?

If no support is needed, what type and how many screws would you recommend for fastening the corrugated or ACM panels to the frame?

This is an image of what I'm looking to do...

signs-with-or-without-backing-question.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

How Long is the sign up for? ACM I don't think I would add a plywood back and go with a screw every foot or so around the edges. If you were going coro, a plywood backing would help. If its only up for a couple months, you might be able to get away with out a backer. Just use large grommets so the wind does not rip it off the screws.

tulsagraphics

No supports required for ACM. Screws every 18" is fine. ACM is preferred since it's so much more durable than coro -- but if you do go coro, use 10mm stock and countersink the screws to prevent puckering.

PeterR

Thanks for the replies! Since the panels will be changed in and out over time and I can't be sure what they'll be made of, I'll play it safe and add a treated plywood backer.

PeterR

If the sign will be changed that often I would make a track with one end removable to switch out the faces.
Hey Bill. That's a good idea, just not sure what to make the track out of. Is there a specific product you recommend? If I jerry-rig something from the hardware store, how deep would you recommend the panel sit in the track to prevent it from popping out when it's windy?

ikarasu

I wouldn't do a plywood backer.. but I'd add a mid bar and screw into that as well.

One of our contractors put up 3x 12 x 8 signs - 3 4x8 per sign, same setup as yours. It was fine for a month until we had a bad windstorm... Then 2/3 panels on each sign blew off. A mid brace secures it a bit better