• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you do anything special for blade disposal

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
HUmmm, I may need to rethink that practice. I usually just crush my bottles and throw them in the bed of the truck so I dont think I'd mistake a blade... but who knows....ive done dumber things.
One of our customers had an employee that was stealing bleach from work for cleaning her house by putting it in a water bottle. Apparently she had it on her nightstand and woke up one night and grabbed it thinking it was her water. She ended up in the hospital and is lucky it didn't kill her. She is pretty wacky which didn't help matters but none of us are immune to a stupid accident.

Edited to add that she does not have Covid-19 either

CanuckSigns

One of our customers had an employee that was stealing bleach from work for cleaning her house by putting it in a water bottle. Apparently she had it on her nightstand and woke up one night and grabbed it thinking it was her water. She ended up in the hospital and is lucky it didn't kill her. She is pretty wacky which didn't help matters but none of us are immune to a stupid accident.

Edited to add that she does not have Covid-19 either

Lol, that's a new one, bleach is like $0.99 a liter, if your going to steal a liquid from a sign shop go for eco sol ink!

Andy D

Last place I worked, I took an empty 1 gallon denatured alcohol can & cut an opening in the lid for
old blades.. when I left five years later, it was 80% full... Makes me wonder, how much money had to
be spent on Xacto blades to fill up that can 80%? $4,000 to $5,000???

upload_2020-6-12_16-7-53.png

CanuckSigns

AMGearhart

Any container will work. I have a plastic microwave soup can, comes with a lid that has a sip hole in it. Once full, duct tape it shut, and buy another Cambell's grab & go microwave soup.

d fleming

Have an old tootsie roll decorative can with hole cut in top. It's about 80% full, weighs about 8-10 lbs, lol. Twenty years worth of dead xacto blades in it. In the field I have an old xacto package marked with skull and crossbones to put them in in my toolbox.

d fleming

Just want to point out my kid has the same thing (it's a change jar), it never gets filled because she constantly empties it to buy junk, I'd hate for her to come across one full of blades, but I'm sure you keep it tucked away.
There are no children in my shop. Or employees for that matter any more. Just me and the wife plugging away at the daily work load of a sign/screen print shop and distillery. I just tossed a blade in it, that sucker is closer to twenty pounds than it is to ten;-)