• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you know your A1C?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Since diabetes runs in the family, I've been closely watching my A1C blood sugar level. So far, so good.

For those of you who don't know what it is, the A1C is a three-month "snapshot" of your blood sugar levels.

Perhaps you didn't know that you can get the test kits at a local drug store instead of scheduing a doctor's appointment. The kit (A1C Now self check...from Bayer) contains two tests and sells for around $30.00. My doctor wanted $150 to do the same thing.

So, for the loved-ones in your life...take the test. I've heard that most people with diabetes don't even know it.

By itself, diabetes is a very manageable disease, but couple it with heart trouble and kidney trouble and it becomes a three-headed dragon. My dad is facing that problem now, and it's a bad situation.

Stepping down from my soapbox,

Jim

good idea! my wife got diabetes when she was pregnant, but it went several weeks after she gave birth. i rememeber the hassle and confusion of it all, but as you say is managable.

OldPaint

as a VET, i get a blood draw almost every 90 days IF NOT more often. depends on the doctor i visit. they all seem to have a specific blood test THEY NEED TO DO. un fact i started the day off at 10 am.............getting blood labs at the VA.