• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you like your PC monitor?

Jburns

Hey folks,

So I just bought a new PC to run:

Flexisign, Gerber Omega, Corel and Adobe Illustrator, photoshop. - not all at the same time of course.

But I need to buy a monitor. I would like good color representation, about 21-23ish diagonal- hdmi
I don't need a curved screen, gaming monitor etc. I dont think I even need the highest resolution.

Let me know if you have one you like? or one to avoid
thanks

Jburns

I would be comfortable max 500 range. I honestly don't think I need 4K because I do not print photos but would like descent / good color accuracy.

kheebl

I just bought a 32" curved monitor and I hate it. I want my 28" flat monitor back but it broke:(

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Just added an ASUS VG27AQ to my collection. For the price it's a very good monitor. Extremely colour accurate, excellent resolution, uses hardly any power and great for gaming if you're so inclined.

WildWestDesigns

I like viewsonic, fair prices great resolution, 27" would like a larger one but its fine

I can't believe it, but this is actually the first time that I agree with Bruce (at least that I can remember).

I have used 2 brands over the past 15 years (and still use those 2 brands) and that is Viewsonic and Wacom (huge fan of the Cintiqs)

For the longest time I was using 2 27" Viewsonics(HDMI) and 27QHD Wacom. Now, I'm using 1 43" 4k Viewsonic and the same Wacom monitor (going on 5 yrs for the Wacom and still going strong, have a 21UX (right before being discontinued) and it's still going strong as well). Loving the 4k. The QHD is between HDMI and 4k, so it's not totally off between the 2 monitors, biggest thing is if your programs don't support it and there isn't a way to trick the computer with scaling etc (without mucking it up for programs that actually look fine), it will look bad. How bad depends on the situation. That is probably going to be the biggest downside to 4k. Otherwise, I wouldn't shy away from it.

I agree with not needing the gaming monitor, again, like gaming GPUs, they focus on things that aren't really needed for graphics work. Don't hurt, but aren't utilized to their fullest in graphics work.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't operate without 2 monitors and once you try it you'll never go back. The first monitor is the primary design monitor and the second always has email and over or beside that is a browser, secondary design program, file explorer depending on what is needed at the time... If you designing a lot of vehicle wraps it may even be wise to buy an ultra-widescreen monitor.

If that's not feasible get the biggest monitor 4k monitor you can afford. If you have an old or cheap video card, make sure it can support the higher resolution monitors and or multiple.

Stop thinking about cost and start thinking about productivity. Wasted time is the biggest drag on your bottom line.

Do your research:
https://www.engadget.com/ - https://www.tomshardware.com/ - https://www.anandtech.com/ - https://www.anandtech.com/

And shop for the best deal:
https://www.newegg.com/ - http://www.tigerdirect.com/ - https://smile.amazon.com/

WildWestDesigns

.... the second always has email and over or beside that is a browser, secondary design program, file explorer depending on what is needed at the time...

Do you use a Tiling Window Manager, especially given what you have open on your second monitor? That would help with all of those programs open at the same time and be able to quickly do things. May not, but just thought I would mention it. I use tiling window mangers all the time for my work, back when I was on Windows, Aquasnap was a good one, don't know if it's still around, should do a search and see). May feel like you've gone back to Windows 3.1 when didn't have overlapping windows, but it really does help with having multiple programs open and not have to deal manually snapping the windows for your own tiling.

karst41

Samsung 27" curved screen. I have been in front of computer screens for close to 40 years.
I really like this one the best. I find that the vectored lines is most important and this monitor gives it.

Screen Colors vs. that of what is coming off the printer? No, I find that to be a near useless point
and have not bought a color monkey.
When I am matching colors, the cmyk values are walked in, and the natural day light is the only
color reference that I use.

IsItFasst

Like others, I can't operate without dual monitors. Makes multitasking so much better. I have two office computers and 1 home computer all have dual monitors. Even when I travel and remote in my laptop has an extra monitor. And 4K is the (new) way to go. On my main office computer I design and email with I am running dual Samsung 28" 4K monitors. So much more fits on the screen with 4K since the resolution is so great so there is a lot less scrolling.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I love 2 monitors but even that isn't enough. I got Flexi open and email and still want another screen to copy information from.

Agreed....I started with one and quickly got a second. When I built my new office, I added a third. I almost always have three of something open that I'm using in conjunction with one another. I'll have art on the left monitor, email on the center monitor and a quote on the right monitor.....or an invoice on the left monitor, email on the center monitor and photo editor on the right monitor.

I don't need it for anything too resource-heavy, so I just use three Asus VS247J-P monitors. For the price ($118 each off Amazon), it's kind of crazy to limit yourself to one or two if having more would improve your workflow.

20200607_184230_HDR.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Agreed....I started with one and quickly got a second. When I built my new office, I added a third. I almost always have three of something open that I'm using in conjunction with one another. I'll have art on the left monitor, email on the center monitor and a quote on the right monitor.....or an invoice on the left monitor, email on the center monitor and photo editor on the right monitor.

I don't need it for anything too resource-heavy, so I just use three Asus VS247J-P monitors. For the price ($118 each off Amazon), it's kind of crazy to limit yourself to one or two if having more would improve your workflow.

View attachment 147422

Is that an escape hatch when things in the office get rough? I was expecting DeWalt branded monitors...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Is that an escape hatch when things in the office get rough? I was expecting DeWalt branded monitors...
I think those background images are of the original DeWalt factories. They are in black and white so you can't see the yellow warehouse trim.