• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Anyone Make "BLACK LIGHT" Vinyl

njteaser

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I just opened up (moved locations) a new sign shop in NNJ and I have a nice storefront window but its set back kind of far from the road. So... I am trying to keep costs down but want to have a bright sign / window lettering people can see.

I did some basic research to see if there are any manufacturers that make a Black Light vinyl but haven’t come up with anything. Basically wanted to surround the window with black light boarder tubes and put some nice vinyl lettering that would glow from the black lights in the evening. Any ideas are appreciated.

Allied Digital

dont know about any vinyl, but if you have blacklight tubing, seems to me that white would be what you want. Maybe cove the entire window in white w name/logo as the cut out?

njteaser

Lady, yeah I had already considered that but didn’t want to go that route until I knew if there was such a vinyl or not. The "glowing" text (yes white) is the look that I wanted to achieve but at the same time keeping signage costs low. I appreciate the input though.

gabagoo

All those bowling alleys and indoor putting places use dayglo or flourescent vinyls, with the use of blacklight lighting. Is that what you mean?

petepaz

take some of your vinyl swatch books and hold them under a black light and see if they glow
i am not sure but i would think a fluorescent or reflective might do the trick or maybe some of the r-tape holographic films

petepaz

or maybe you have to just go to a craft store and get some black light paint or markers and print out some graphic outlines and color them in and cut them out
low cost but a little bit of labor

3dsignco

Wow, Making me feel old. Don't you remember the Velvet / Florescent posters from the 70s.

You want to use florescent vinyl every manufacture has some. (I think) if not get a hold of a FDC swatch card the have it in there. That will give you the glow you want.. Word of warning.. Florescent vinyl will only last about 6 months or less before it turns white when exposed to the sun. It's an inside product. I have seen Oracal saying 2 years on their line but have never used it.

In my oracal swacthbook they have two products listed, oracal 7510 and 6510. It comes in fluorescent yellow, orange, red-orange, red, pink and green.

7510 is rated for two years and 6510 is rated for 1 year outdoors. Pink and Orange for both products are rated for half the life of the other colors.

Hope that helps.

~Chris