• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone use Google Checkout?

TheSnowman

I have been working with several others on some ideas for t-shirts that we need to have available for purchase online. We were trying to figure out a good way for payment, and "shopping cart" setup, and google checkout has been looking pretty good, and easy to use.

My question at this point is...how do they handle payment. Of course we'd like to be able to do just a regular credit card, or paypal or something like that. I assume paypal is it's own setup, and can't be used anyway. What does Google Checkout do when someone uses a credit card number? Can it just process it, charge us a percentage, and deposit the rest into a bank account, or is it setup so that we have to punch in the card into a terminal on our end to charge their account?

I watched the videos and couldn't figure that part out for some reason. If anyone uses it, or has in the past, and has a review you'd be willing to share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

saktrnch

I don't know anything about google checkout, but paypal is easy. cut and paste. Paypal doesn't charge me a monthly fee like quick books does.

ChiknNutz

I've been using Google Checkout for a while now, works a lot like Paypal, but maybe a bit more limited in some respects, better in others (can use Coupons with Google). I think it can only be used for online purchases, so bear that in mind if you are wanting to use it for in-person sales.

neato

Paypal is very easy to setup and use. Paypal creates the code for the payment button, you just plug it into your site and viola! You're accepting payments.

If you want something a little more in depth, I like cubecart software. It's free and easy to setup.

Salmoneye

I am very interested in this. We hardly ever take credit cards. With this I think that if someone is in the shop we can just go to out web page and enter the customers info or if we are in the field we could just pop our page up on the iphone and enter the customers card info. All with no monthly fees if we don't use it much. Sounds perfect. Am I missing something here?

Salmoneye

With paypal the customer has to have an account, with google do they have to have an account as well or just pay at our web site with a card?

royster13

As far as I know there are a number of ways to take payments via PayPal without requiring your buyer to have a PayPal account...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With paypal the customer has to have an account, with google do they have to have an account as well or just pay at our web site with a card?

No PayPal account is required by PayPal. All major credit cards may be used in lieu of a PayPal account. One big plus though is that you also get customers who have PayPal and prefer to use that as a method payment. The one serious but infrequent limitation we have hit into with PayPal is that they won't let a customer use a credit card if you have a PayPal account.

Techman

The one serious but infrequent limitation we have hit into with PayPal is that they won't let a customer use a credit card if you have a PayPal account.

The way I just read this,,,
IF the customer has a paypal account,, they cannot use a credit card instead of the paypal account? ,,, yes?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The way I just read this,,,
IF the customer has a paypal account,, they cannot use a credit card instead of the paypal account? ,,, yes?

Yes, that is correct. From a practicality perspective, the account holder would add money to their PayPal account sufficient to cover the purchase.

If PayPal reads a cookie that you are a PayPal account holder then, yes, they require you to use the PayPal account. I guess they have their reasons. This is normally only a problem with account holders who are in a dispute with PayPal but still have active accounts they don't choose to close. We have four or five such situations a year which isn't a problem because we just keep a card number on file and process their orders manually on our in-house card swiper.

It is a somewhat asinine policy since you can use their virtual terminal to just input a card and they are not aware of whether the buyer has a PayPal account or not.

ChiknNutz

One other point I forgot to mention, when I got hooked up with Google back in 2008, the fees were 2.0% + $.20 and now it's 2.9% + $.30 just like Paypal. So, it was a better deal then, but not sure if it offers much over Paypal now other than the coupon feature which I like to use occasionally.

TheSnowman

I'm pretty much leaning towards the Paypal thing at this point. Seems to be a lot more user friendly on both ends of the deal.