• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone use linux OS

sullosau

Hey all

Just curious as Im being taught linux etc at work and using it as a basis for a server project (works bringing out my closet pc nerd)
Has anyone here had any success using linux os and software.
And has anyone successly integrated it and use any linux based software for sign work?

Cheers

Steve

David Wright

I don't see how it could be used solely for work given the need for Corel, Adobe and other sign programs.
I have tried it, (Ubuntu version), and it will work fine for nearly everything except when you need program compatibility.

Gimp is a good rival for Photoshop, Firefox has a browser for it, good music players etc. As a dual boot setup it would be worth using.

Ubuntu has a download which will let you run it from a cd to see if you like it for those interested

drakesis

I use it all the time, more for fun and being a nerd 'n all, haha.

I can't use it to cut any files, as I haven't found any program or driver, that works with the cutter, but for vector work, Inkscape is good almost like Illustrator, as well a Gimp for Photoshop.

I agree with David, Ubuntu is good, and its getting popular by the hour for newbies to the linux world. Download a copy of the livecd and try it out. If you don't have highspeed, give me a shout I got loads of them I can mail you some.

sullosau

thats great thanks for the input guys,
Ive got 4 versions of it now, one from cd (ubuntu) and both downloadable version plus a couple work gave me.
Once I get my other system up I can start loading it.
Im getting tired of MS/OS so its nice to see something different!
I saw the inkscape writeup looks ok.
Keep the replies coming good to hear other points of view..

CHeers
Steve

Cadmn

I used to play with a version on cd it started with a K, but for the life of me can't remember whole name sorry

maxxgraphix

Mandrake is a great package. My choice for building work stations and servers.
if you go to sourceforge.net you can find opensource projects.
One of the nice things I build are JukeBox servers.
Another awsome app is Ador. This is real time multi channel recording / mix studio. For FREE too. The graphic apps are few. I wish someone would write an opensource RIP to drive wideformat printers.

I gota have Corel / Adbobe stuff and flexi. So I'm stuck with winders.
The only way you can get around it alittle is to run WINE. This creates an linux enviroment that will run windows apps. At one time Corel released a version of photopaint that ran in linux. It used WINE.

WINE has been around for a while, so I'm sure it can run most WinApps. But it's another CPU overhead and slows things down.

OMG: It's 8:45 I better get back to work.

jmerlos

I have been using Ubuntu for about 3 months at home and have yet to miss windows. I still have to use windows at work but I have yet to run into any problems with ubuntu. If you are considering linux ubuntu is the best way to get started since they have the best forum for technical assistance.

gerald

I only use Linux on our server. It is more secure than MS. I don't have to worry so much about viruses and the like. I also have a linux based firewall/router than our broadband goes thru. All the machines in the shop are MS- XP Pro.

texasducod

I use Fedora Core 7 and have been on it for two years now. Just recently had to put a windows box together just for my vinyl cutter. But use Inkscape for vector illustration because it is open source which means it's free, then I send the file to the winbox for printing. IMHO: Software sales is a scam, switch to Linux...
BTW I posted a request to the Open Source community, sourceforge.net, to write code for my vinyl cutter and other wide format peripherals for Linux. If you would like to see more free software then please post your wish list on sourceforge.com to get involved in the open source.

Cheers,
D

Last edited:

Replicator

I used to play with a version on cd it started with a K, but for the life of me can't remember whole name sorry

Knoppix . . . Great program on bootable CD . . .
perfect for the person who just has a mild curiosity
about the foundation of the Linux operating system.
Bootable on Windows XP and above.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Being an unreconstructed old Unix hand and having inflicted various iterations on Linux on myself it's my considered opinion that Linux is the product of frenzied enthusiasts. Sweaty clammy bad complected beings that know little and understand nothing. These specimens may have the odd good idea from time to time but their ability to implement commercial grade software is a joke.

Linux is something that wants to be Unix but can't quit make the grade. Windows isn't a whole hell of a lot better but at least you don't have to sell your soul to the systems administration devil to run it.

Perhaps Linux has improved in the last couple of years. Perhaps not. It was so pathetic when I had to deal with it I wouldn't know nor care.

texasducod

Being an unreconstructed old Unix hand and having inflicted various iterations on Linux on myself it's my considered opinion that Linux is the product of frenzied enthusiasts. Sweaty clammy bad complected beings that know little and understand nothing. These specimens may have the odd good idea from time to time but their ability to implement commercial grade software is a joke.

Linux is something that wants to be Unix but can't quit make the grade. Windows isn't a whole hell of a lot better but at least you don't have to sell your soul to the systems administration devil to run it.

Perhaps Linux has improved in the last couple of years. Perhaps not. It was so pathetic when I had to deal with it I wouldn't know nor care.

Yes it has improved just over the last two years to become the same if not better that the corporate "commercial grade software" you all have become enslaved to. lol; "I am not a number, I am a free man!"-The Prisoner; uses Linux.:) Fedora Core works.