• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone use Tangential cutters.

Doubletake

Are they really that much better? We do a fair amount of small detail cutting looking to upgrade. Would it be worth the extra cash?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Love our Summa S160T..... I'd also not be willing to go back to a drag knife now either.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I've been running a GS-15 and a 30'' for over twenty years now. Still going strong, and the best type of plotter for cutting sandblast mask.

CrabbyOldGuy

We have both tangential and drag knife plotters. They both have their place with the tangential being better for small detail. You get straighter lines in small copy. The drag knife is a bit faster just because is doesn't lift as often. On larger images the quality can be a wash.

Exactly what Crabby said. Tangential is better for small stuff, you'll get less hangups on corners and such, but you'll probably never notice a difference on anything bigger than a few inches. They are quite a bit slower than drag knife, but worth the extra time in my opinion.

Split76

I have summa s2 140t and s120d, tangential is much better for small and very thick stuff. Tangential is much slower but when my s120d gives up, i'll replace it with t model.

Doubletake

I find I slow things down to try to get better quality anyhow so it may not be any slower at all.
What about for long runs. I did a graphic 22 feet long and the text all worked out fine but the long stripe running down the middle was off a bit. Is there any brand or cutter that will address that issue?
Are there differences in optical registration that should be considered?