• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dongle

geb

Does anyone know or ever try what I'm about to describe. I have signlab on my home computer. At the day job I use Corel after having enough of Anagraph Designart 2000. Recently I intalled my own licensed version of E6(signlab) on my work computer to playaround with the program to see what's different than version 5. Can I take my dongle from home, use it at work for a higher version(E6), then take the dongle back home to use with version 5? I would only do this when I need the software for an important job at work, one I feel more comfortable operating in signlab than Corel. Would this affect my dongle going from a 98 to windows 2000, and are there a lot of technical changes I would have to make? Obviously I should just see if they could buy me a dongle for work, but in the mean time I wondered if this would work if I needed it. Thanks.

George

OldPaint

you can load E6 on your home computer and on your work computer. you can work in both. but you cant open the program without having the dongle attached to the computer you wish to work. also E6 WILL NOT WORK FOR SL5.

geb

Good one Baz. :biggrin:

Moral is, don't play with your dongle, get management to buy a dongle for you to play with.

Probably not a good idea to try to take it off my computer, haul it to work once in a while, and if something happens, who's responsibilty is it to fix. I don't know much about dongles, but they probably don't last forever, not even sure about price. My dongles staying home where it belongs.

George

giantsfan1951

The Dongle "should" only work with the same program it was sold with... it should be matched to the serial number of the software it is "protecting"...
The good news is that you can run the same software on more than one computer (if you transport the dongle)
The bad news is that they often interfer with printers and or other devices that may be utilizing your parallel port (external zip drives etc.)

hotrodracer

Dongle reply...

I recently upgraded my SL 5.0 Rev 6 to E6 at trhe cost of $275. Reason is 5.0 only runs on Win 98 SE and Win 95, and I built a new pc and installed Win XP Pro. When I called SL and asked what were the major diff's between 5.0 Rev 6 and E6, the reply was; 'not much prog diff, mainly E6 runs on Win 2000 & XP where 5.0 will not run on 2000 & XP. Wanting the stability of 2000 and or XP I opted for the upgrade...

Next I ran into the subject matter, wanting to use 2 diff pc's w/ one dongle. I contacted SL and they offer a 'second install with another dongle' for 40% off of list. Next I contacted the local SL dealer who gave me an additional 10% off of the 40%, so I ordered the second install. I now have 2 sep SL E6 programs to install on which ever pc's I want to. So having SL on 2 out of 3 pc's works for me.

As a dongle is a hardware item, I doubt that one could hurt it by switching it from one pc to another. "WE" are carefull, Si? Also having 2 sep copies of SL will/would permit me to sell one copy in the future should I want to, and break even, or there abouts on the second install...

geb

Thanks for the feedback. hotrodracer, you answered a couple of other questions I also had concerning 2000 and XP, hope to get there this summer. I will have to look at the price on an additional dongle and package, great info, thanks.

George

Jason Davie

I'm running Signlab 5 on a win xp computer, All you have to do is go to the dongle manufacture and get the free software update for the dongle..

Jason davie

geb

Hi Jason. I really enjoyed ver. 5, but a couple of features in e6 make me happy I purchased it. I use the ginsu knife feature alot. Allows you to take and cut an object, or slice it, rather than editing or welding away objects. Saves alot of time. Plus I like all the manufacturers palettes available to see the look of different colors as they would appear.

As far as the dongle, I was going to transport my dongle from home to my workplace, where I currently don't run signlab. I was having alot of problems with the software they have there(anagraph 2000). I decided to load my own version of Corel Draw at work, and asked them to purchase signtools 3 so I could cut from Corel. Granted, I wish I could use signlab there, but it gives me the advantage of learning another software that I didn't have time to use much at home.

George

OldPaint

every time i see this word i break into this song i learned as a kid...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH never let your dongle, dangle in the dirt, alway kepp you dongle, tucked in your shit, stick it up a ratzassarattatee.....OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH never let your dongle dangle in the dirt!!!!!! iknow iam a sick puppy

Steve C.

This isn't much help if your computers are not in the same location, but I used the same dongle for years on two computers. Get a printer switch box, used for printing from two computers to one printer, and a couple of cables. Put the dongle on the box and connect both computers. You have to switch form one to the other when cutting, but you can't cut on one plotter at the same time anyway.

rabiddog

We are presently signlab 8.1
signlab 7 went to usb dongles , they move around to other machine provided that the cds used were the ones matching dongle , or the LCF files were manually installed that match the dongle.

Has anyone tried to use terminal server with newer versions? 7.1 >
we used to keep dongle on terminal server , according to cadlink you must have dongle on client

onesmf

I got the great advice on a similar question of using remote desktop connection. Dongle stays in office desktop and you can access all of your programs on your office desktop from anywhere.

hi i presently have signlab 7.1 how better is signlab 8.1 as regards file transfer, i have isssues transferring some EPS files to signlab i tend to send them to photoshop cs4 and then transfer them back to signlab this works but it's a killer on time.
i had 2 dongles from signlab which was supposed to allow us to work on our home pc's but this never worked. thanks in advance