• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Don't understand what happened......................................

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
This same thing happened to me while using QuarkXPress. It would not open after my Mac did an update.
To fix this, I took this Mac offline and changed the date back five years and the program runs perfect again.
Alot of programs have a expiration date (8 to 10 years) then they shut down. By backing the date up the program starts fresh again. Just dont put it back online as the date change will update.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe they'll end up doing like what happened to CS2 when they shut down its activation server.

They might, but they are under no obligation to do so.

However, that turned out to be a fiasco for them as people that didn't have a legit copy of CS2 were also getting the freebie which was not their intent. Now, with CS6, the user was required (atleast I had to) to sync an account to their particular key, so that would be far easier to validate then it was with CS2. But that would be my one concern there.

Have to remember that according to their EULA (as with most commercial/closed source EULAS, so it is pro forma), Adobe isn't required to even let people know changes like that. It would suck if they were to do that, historically there is notification, but they do have an "out" with their EULA (you know, the thing that most people don't bother reading?)

I wouldn't expect that to happen like it did with CS2, it might, but I wouldn't expect it to. That way, if it does happen, it's a pleasant surprise.

This same thing happened to me while using QuarkXPress. It would not open after my Mac did an update.
To fix this, I took this Mac offline and changed the date back five years and the program runs perfect again.
Alot of programs have a expiration date (8 to 10 years) then they shut down. By backing the date up the program starts fresh again. Just dont put it back online as the date change will update.

This is one of 2 methods I was thinking of.

That might add some time to using legacy apps, but I would suggest sticking with a computer with that older OS (even if it was a Win 10 computer, it might be an older version of Win 10 that you need and not a newer one, finding an older version of Win 10 may get harder and harder to come by). The usual out of a VM, even one with no WAN connection may not work in this case, because time would be had through the host OS and not from an outside connection, unless willing to deep dive to find and block that from happening, but that's going to be tough as that is the same means that the guest gets hardware info from the host in other to complete activation of a Windows OS (if using XP or later), so that type of communication needs to be passed on for legal authentication/activation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got it working. Somehow, my password either got removed or something stupid, but I had someone come in and they fixed it in about 8 minutes. Where I got stuck, she went right by it and pressed forward. 3 or 4 more steps and it was done.

Thank you all for all of the suggestions and help. It all was helpful.

Only cost $15. with my discount. She then proceeded to fix some other things on other computers right away, too That was an additional $60. with my discount.

I just like happy endings..................... :clapping:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've had some slightly annoying headaches with the Creative Cloud installation on my desktop at work. I've had to sign-in to my account to get the Creative Cloud application up and running the first thing in the morning the past two days in a row. Today in the middle of the afternoon it logged out and I had to log back in again when trying to sync some typefaces from Adobe Fonts.

WildWestDesigns said:
However, in the end, if they shut down that server, the above method wouldn't work as well, so keep that in mind (and Adobe is under no obligation now to keep that server up and running, if talking about CS6 or earlier, if CC they already mandate users being no older then x-1).

I'm pretty sure the registration and activation servers for CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 are still operational. But there is no telling how long that will continue.

Adobe definitely isn't doing like what they did when turning off the CS2 activation servers (just letting anyone download the activation-free version by clicking a link). With CS3 they make users log in with their Adobe ID and then enter the serial number from their installer discs to get access to the activation free version. I imagine Adobe will follow a similar approach when they gradually take down the servers for the rest of the Creative Suite versions. Don't throw out those old boxes of software!

Another thing users will have to keep if using old versions of Adobe software: their older installers for plugins. Some of the newest plugins are not backward compatible with old versions of Adobe software. The latest versions of Astute Graphics' amazing suite of Illustrator plugins require the CC version of Illustrator.

WildWestDesigns

Today in the middle of the afternoon it logged out and I had to log back in again when trying to sync some typefaces from Adobe Fonts.

The joys of a an always connected workstation. At this point, subscription based software might as well be a PWA (of course, you'll have to run something other then Firefox for that, really bad decision on their part, but I digress). With things like WASM (natively compiled code that targets the browser versus a specific OS and Arch), we already have AutoCAD in the browser, may as well have others (I already have Ps-like and Ai-like programs that run in the browser as it is), shoot, can even emulate other OSs in the browser, that's how powerful that (essentially) "run time" is. At least with browser based programs, it can be run on any OS. Just have to be careful, the client can't be too "thin" on resources as the browser is able to take advantage (and needs to) of hardware on the client.

Given how features have been removed with little notice and typically due to Adobe and it's issues with licensing with these 3rd parties, anything that I would use that is a 3rd party licensed blob of code that isn't totally controlled by Adobe, I would make sure that I have a way of "finalizing" what ever it does, just in case they (Adobe) pulls the plug those files aren't essentially useless (while you mention fonts in this particular section, I mean anything, not just fonts (sometimes can find this in the "About "Program" section, it will lists copyrights, for instance an Eastman Kodak toolkit is in Ai CS6).

I'm pretty sure the registration and activation servers for CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 are still operational. But there is no telling how long that will continue.

I'm pretty sure that they are as well, but that's why I said "if they shut down...". Commercial grade servers tend to have a 10 yr warranty, so anything (and it may not even be true if they even say it, could just be an excuse) could happen, likely hood of normal wear and tear just went significantly up on that hardware.

I imagine Adobe will follow a similar approach when they gradually take down the servers for the rest of the Creative Suite versions. Don't throw out those old boxes of software!

If you are talking about the serial numbers, I would just make copies of that somewhere else, that way even if one doesn't throw out the old boxes, at least there is a back up that.

Now, if you are talking about a backup of the old discs, I would actually suggest creating ISOs of those discs (and store the activation number with them (or within the ISO itself)) that way you have a backup and as optical drivers are getting less and less prevalent, still have the ability to install as most modern OSs recognizes ISOs as virtual drivers and they will appear to the user as such. The one caveat here is don't use archiving software to do this, the chances are high that they will truncate file names without any warning to the user and that will render the ISO useless for installation. Use disc burning software and when warnings appear cancel the request to truncate file names. It used to relate the Joliet naming schema, but those requirements are outdated.

Another thing users will have to keep if using old versions of Adobe software: their older installers for plugins. Some of the newest plugins are not backward compatible with old versions of Adobe software. The latest versions of Astute Graphics' amazing suite of Illustrator plugins require the CC version of Illustrator.

Astute graphics makes great plugins, but I don't like how they handled things with regard to their licensing. It's misleading at best. They say, that you can keep the plugins that you already bought when they went to the subscription service to keep getting the latest and greatest, but with Adobe's aggressive mandated upgrade schedule of customers always needing to be at least on x-1 version, the user will needs to stay on that subscription service for Astute as well. As any Adobe update at any point in time could render the version of the plugins that you have useless. Bare in mind, this policy of Astute came out AFTER Adobe changed their policy due to what happened with Dolby. So they don't even have the fact that they had this policy before the change in Adobe's upgrade policy in their favor.

I really enjoy their plugins, I have them for CS6 and they are great (finally have the wacom airbrush pen support in Ai due to the plugin), but that policy really needs to be changed and just need to be perpetually on the subscription service now. I don't like it, but I wouldn't blame them for that as much, because it's really Adobe's policy that makes it necessary.