• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

double sided banner question.

ok, i need to do 2 3x5ft double sided banners and i want to know if this method is good or bad! i'm going to be printing them seperatly each side then i want to join both sides together with banner tape and then grommet them. now......normally on a single sided banner you would fold the edges down, tape it(if you use tape that is!) and then grommet.....do i need to still do this? i mean, fold down the edges? as the 2 banner sides will be put together, taped and then grommeted.

thanks!

anotherdog

Usually we don't fold down the edges on this. Just print the two sides butted together, fold, hem then grommet. If you do fold over the edges you can end up with a crazy amount of vinyl at the corners.

I guess the same applies to tape.

i'm having to print them seperatly due to size as we have a 54" printer so need to print each side seperate.....if you see what i mean, so what i was woundering, i would end up with 2 individual sides, so whats the best method to actualy butt them together to make 1 double sided banner? i see your point for the edges, as you would have alot of bulk/access in each corner if you were to fold and hem each side then join them together! so, could i just trim the banners, use banner tape on each backside and then join them up and grommet? would that be good enough/stronge enough?

anotherdog

should be strong enough, you can also put an X of tape in the middle to stop ballooning.
The grommets will also help hold it together...

or you could just use double sided banner...?

I can't see why the two sides can't be printed as one long banner and hinged on one side...even if its the short side.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just use double sided media ?? That's why they make it..... for situations just like you have here.

threeputt

Just finished a 3'x8' double sided banner not more than 60 minutes ago. It was done as (2) individual banners. Use banner hem tape all around the perimeter to bond them together, then brass grometts thru and thru. It's heavy enough that way it won't need the folded over hem.

We've also printed double-sided banners on single piece of material. Do a search on this forum to learn how. But you do need special material to do them that way.

hey gino, its a rush job we got in this afternoon and is needed for monday morning and our suppliers don't open on saturday or i would have just got some double sided banner and done it that way.
threeput, that is exactly what i was thinking of doing..... print the banners seperatly, trim them up, and then place banner tape along the edge and then put them together and grommet.... did you put banner tape on both banners? just woundered as banner tape is double sided so i guess you only need to put the tape on one banner yeah?

thanks! yeah we use banner tape all the time just haven't done a double sided banner this way using this method before wo wanted to make sure it was going to be durable enough as i need to so two of them. thanks all for the input!

real quick question....were using 13oz banner material as the banners will be outside for approx 1-2 weeks only. now...since they will be double sided, will i need to out some sort of blockout in between? for example some vinyl as i don't want to have an issue with being able to see through the banner when the light hits it etc.

any body have any ideas regarding a "blockout" for the banners? i was thinking of putting something inbetween the banners as i don;t want the images to show through when the light hits it as they are going outside or ahould i just not bother?
using 13oz white to print on and i'd say 40/50 percent will stay white...so was concerned about the reverse side kinda showing through is all.....anyone any ideas or like i said, should i just not bother and just do them them without any type of blockout?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The most likely will show a little of the backside without a blockout layer.
You could print up 2 of your design - take them outside and see what the look like against the sun.
Messing with 3 layers of material and banner tape is going to get tricky but with just 2 to do you should be ok.

wayne k
guam usa

yeah.....i need to get these printed for monday and i was just a little concerned of the opacity of the materials butted up together and the sunlight etc......don't want them to look like crap!! i did put two pieces togeter with some scrap vinyl om one side and you can see the outline/shape of the material........thats held up agaist the window though...but i'm sure it'll be the same or near enough with the printed full banner....... i have reas, maybe on this forum someone saying they put black or gray material inbetween.....not sure if thats the way to go??

Rooster

I don't think your going to happy with any result that doesn't use a blockout material for at least one side. Not if you're holding it up to a window anyhow.

Donny7833

Apply black vinyl to the inside of one piece, should be enough to block any show through. Had to do that in a pinch once and it worked fine.