• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided banners

skyhigh

I have a few double sided banners that will be hanging from a gymnasium ceiling. Being these are indoors, can I get away with a 12-13oz scrim material, or do I still need to do the blockout 18oz ???

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd still use blockout but probably not a scrim. I'd use a smooth finish indoor 13oz blockout.

Letterbox Mike

Use a 13oz double-sided material, it'll have a blockout layer in it that will keep the edges from curling under. Even with hems, regular 13oz will tunnel along the edges somewhat.

Better yet, look for something labeled as "non-curl", typically it's for retractable banner stands but it works great for your application. We use lots of Bantex 13oz smooth double-sided curl-free for banner stands and indoor hanging banners.

Letterbox Mike

I was thinking the indoor lighting wouldn't cause much of a shadow on the other side.

It might, use a blockout material meant for double-sided banners to be safe. Most regular 13oz isn't completely opaque, we've done it in a pinch once or twice and even with very little light coming through you can see the image on the back side.

Malkin

For what it's worth, Fellers' 16oz KOMA material (double-sided & blockout) seems to be very resistant to edge curl even though it's not marketed that way. I use it for most everyday type banners mostly because of that.

Letterbox Mike

For what it's worth, Fellers' 16oz KOMA material (double-sided & blockout) seems to be very resistant to edge curl even though it's not marketed that way. I use it for most everyday type banners mostly because of that.

We've seen a ton of failures using KOMA, everything from serious cracking/delaminating to ink not adhering properly. It seemed like a good budget double-sided 16oz material but it doesn't hold a candle to a good 18oz blockout IMO.

CanuckSigns

for the very few that we do, we just stick black 3mil vinyl on the back side of one of the banners before they are sewn together, never had an issue doing this. if we did more double sided banners, i would consider stocking the blackout material.

Malkin

insignia said:
We've seen a ton of failures using KOMA, everything from serious cracking/delaminating to ink not adhering properly. It seemed like a good budget double-sided 16oz material but it doesn't hold a candle to a good 18oz blockout IMO.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. So far the majority has been single-sided use, or small DF, though there was a rush 3x20 DF for a 1 time event. We'll have to keep an eye out...