• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drone video

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
If you have recently completed a tall sign project, let's explore the idea of making a drone video story about the sign.
Backstory, having completed extensive training, I have just recently begun a new venture. I am beginning to make video stories for signmakers and I am really enjoying it.
If the drone tactic interests you, let's open a conversation.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Sign people don't need drones....we are the ones up there working on it in person!
Texas_Signmaker Yes, you certainly are up there working on it. Would you have any interest in exploring the idea of making a video of what you are doing?
Marketing. My idea is to make a video story about the sign project. That video could include any interesting part of the project. And, specifically, a drone video circling the sign after it is finished.
The big idea is to have a compelling video story that a quality potential client might view.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That sounds like a decent idea there Robert. Some of those drone videos can make the mundane look pretty impressive. I wanted to do one of my shop but I'm across the street from an airport so that won't work. I asked the guys that were working on a cell tower next door to take some pictures while they were up there..... that was good enough.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
That sounds like a decent idea there Robert. Some of those drone videos can make the mundane look pretty impressive. I wanted to do one of my shop but I'm across the street from an airport so that won't work. I asked the guys that were working on a cell tower next door to take some pictures while they were up there..... that was good enough.
Notarealsignguy Let me ask, what about using an extra-long selfie stick?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
A lot of people have drone video of their shop and property on their website homepage and its impressive. Drone video of a sign isn't a bad idea... I think I might steal that idea and do one on my own website. No story or anything...just a silent video showing us working on the sign.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
A lot of people have drone video of their shop and property on their website homepage and its impressive. Drone video of a sign isn't a bad idea... I think I might steal that idea and do one on my own website. No story or anything...just a silent video showing us working on the sign.
Texas_Signmaker So good to hear. Just in case maybe you are interested, I could use some practice. If you have any potential interest, let's explore some ideas.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I am still learning about how to get a video here.
This is an example of what my first video mentor does in his work.
Just to give you a hint of what kind of aerial video idea I thinking about.
(Note, the original is a three-minute video. I have trimmed it down to just show the kind of aerial shots I am thinking about.)
I am thinking of having a voice-over to tell the story, instead of music.

Last edited:

ikarasu

The DJI Ones are super easy, but expensive. But even with the price... They'll be cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

4K Video... They have preset, one button clicks that'll tell the drone to do certain flyby / boomerang shots, etc. Heck..you can even select a "Target" and it'll follow it at your specified distance recording... Good for stalking filming while walking around and talking.

They now also have VR headsets where you can view the camera in FPV Mode like you're flying around. technology is crazy these days!

I've owned a $100 drone, and one of the DJI $1200 drones... The cheapo $100 one was more fun because as mentioned you need to learn to fly it. No fancy auto stabalizers or 20 cameras preventing you from crashing into trees

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
The DJI Ones are super easy, but expensive. But even with the price... They'll be cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

4K Video... They have preset, one button clicks that'll tell the drone to do certain flyby / boomerang shots, etc. Heck..you can even select a "Target" and it'll follow it at your specified distance recording... Good for stalking filming while walking around and talking.

They now also have VR headsets where you can view the camera in FPV Mode like you're flying around. technology is crazy these days!

I've owned a $100 drone, and one of the DJI $1200 drones... The cheapo $100 one was more fun because as mentioned you need to learn to fly it. No fancy auto stabalizers or 20 cameras preventing you from crashing into trees
ikarasu I appreciate your input. Think about using your drone on a sign project. Then, think about bringing me into the project to put together an interesting video story. I could use the practice.