• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dumb question time : vinyl cutter

CKCUSTOMKC

My shop guys keep asking me if there is an auto peeler when it comes to cut vinyl especially lettering, does such a thing exist? I have never heard of one, nor and I find one anywhere on the internet

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My shop guys keep asking me if there is an auto peeler when it comes to cut vinyl especially lettering, does such a thing exist? I have never heard of one, nor and I find one anywhere on the internet
Yes, but I assume you meant weeding. I'm sure they're pricey.

JB

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've seen them... well, videos. I wonder how much vinyl you would have to sell to pay for it.

ikarasu

Who's got it in canada?

Shipping from Canada to us is very easy and cheap, so if you found one here .. buying one shouldn't be an issue if you want to.

Plus USD is higher than cad, so it'd probably be cheaper!

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
That first video looks a lot like what happens when you screw up with a cold laminator. Bet you could adapt one fairly easily to do similar.

victor bogdanov

I've seen articles about them but have never known a shop that actually uses one.
Their website says they have a whopping 10 units in operation, the videos are from 2016, it is now 2022. Doesn't look like this thing is taking off.

must be pretty complicated to use:

9) What is foreseen for the training?

The training lasts approx. 2 weeks at our premises and it’s free of charge. For the training it will be necessary to consider 1 operator (for the machine) and one designer (with graphic knowledge).

Maybe it is good for huge quantities of repetitive weeding, single items might take more design time on the computer than just weeding by hand?

Vassago

It's basically a laminator with a powered takeoff spool. Easy enough to knock up if you really have a need.. Of course, it only copes with repetitive cuts such as labels

brdesign

Google Weeder Sheeter. But I have no experience with one.
Years ago the shop where I was working got one. It worked ok on large block letters (like at least 6 inch tall) and very simple shapes but that was it. Overall it was much slower than weeding by hand and ended up sending it back for a refund.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
More so that he is a little slow at it and And I don't have the time to do it myself or else I would Like something that takes him 4 hours to do I can do in 2 hours
We had an employee like that. she did EVERYTHING SLOW. BECAUSE she was on the weed like BELOW! LOL all that chick ever wanted to do was weed vinyl. she never graduated to anything else like actually applying graphics. She did a little bit of that. but she was so irritated if she had to remove graphics she acted like she was the "grunt". and she was, she was the new kid. you gotta learn the grunt work before you graduate to the next level. After about 5 months she began TELLING ME what she wasn't going to do. Needless to say, she lasted about 3 more months.

More likely he missed the double entendre of the word weed... View attachment 159165
funny story about our weed chick...She was deep into the Qanon stuff. On inauguration day she came into work smelling LOUD. her phone went off with the emergency broadcast system buzzer. she came yelling up to the front, "it's happening, it's happening". then she read the alert, "This is a test.." and she stumbled back to the back. My boyfriend found a youtube video with the emergency broadcast system buzzer and was playing for someone on the phone as a joke, she came running up front again saying, "oh my god, it's happening." my boyfriend looked up at her and said, "naa, i just did that to my buddy, mark just now."
we don't miss her...