• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Duratrans

Lauren-R

Stuff and Stuff
Have a client with a backlit cabinet in their high-end watch store. The image clarity is perfect but the sizing is 70.5"x62.62h". I am wanting to use duratrans but the company I wanted to use that totes 4000dpi says they can't offer the oversized (larger than 48") because Kodak stopped making it. When I scratched the corner of the print with a razor blade it has a few different layers of color. I've never seen this before and was curious if anyone knows what method this is. Is duratrans printing on an eco-solvent or UV the standard method now? Would there be a loss of quality.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 96

electricfly

Duratrans is a photographic process done with Lightjet and I think there was another brand Durst Lamda. Fuji also supplied film and paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Looks like a photo print, lightjet or lamda as mention by electricfly. I miss having those machines.

jschaudt

Master of Hats
electricfly is correct on the process being photographic with a lightjet printer. The last one I ordered was through QueImaging in Houston. They prefer working locally with fine art artists, but they also work with sign designers (though the lingo they use can confuse us all).

kalvix

We readily replace the lambda prints with UV prints. We do a color/white color to insure the color looks great in the daytime when the backlighting isn't used and looks the same at night when the light are on. if you don't do this, the print will look washed out. We can also get 60" and 78" wide backlit film for these applications.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I am wanting to use duratrans but the company I wanted to use that totes 4000dpi says they can't offer the oversized (larger than 48") because Kodak stopped making it.
Only one digital photo machine images to the width you're looking for and that is a Lightjet 500XL using 72 inch width (and smaller) media. Durst Lambdas were limited to 50 inch width materials. The machine prints@200 and 300ppi. 4000dpi was only sales-speak from Lightjet.

If Kodak no longer offers the Duratrans in that size, contact Barney Tong at FujiFilm in Cypress, CA. to learn if Fujitrans is available in 72 inch width from them. Barney will also know who / where any Lightjet XLs are still in service. The shop would still need their 80 inch chemical processor and their 80 laminator in service as well.

Another source for current inkjet technology Duratrans as a substitute (coincidentally also in Cypress, CA.) is Scott Powers at D'Andrea Visual Comm. Be sure to stress the importance of your "high-end" customer's expectations.

Good luck and try to report back with what you find. Clients are weirdly trending asking for true Duratrans again. I'm not sure where this stems.

PS: Know that I'm not affiliated with the sources mentioned above.