• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dust Collector

andy

We have two- one hooked up to the Z axis and one for table clearing. If you have a vac bed then keeping the thing clean is a chore but a must do.

We use a couple of Ryobi industrial extractors with 4" hoses which dump straight into a bag. These were about £100 each and well worth it- hardly anything to go wrong with em so they last forever.

jayhawksigns

We got a unit from Grizzly, good product and can't complain about it.

I recommend Grizzly for most of the heavier shop equipment, bandsaws, shears, drill presses, etc.

gerald

My AXYZ came with a dust collector that surrounds the bit and an overhead hose takes it out of the room.

mtmdesigns

looks all good i was kind of looking for something custom or a little more advanced. i have 2 multicam's and one has the 2 heads so i have the pvc pipe running up the wall and connecting with flex from the ceiling it just doesn't seem to work that well.

IndianaAve

I hope to breathe some life back into this thread and get the latest and greatest advice on chip and dust collection. We are about to purchase (MultiCam or AXYZ) and reposition several CNCs and miter saws. Unfortunately, aluminum and plastic chips, and dust (no surprise) mess with the quality of our downstream finishing.

We have serval facilities with multiple tables and associated cutting equipment. We have had terrific success with an old woodworker's dust collector and would like to take the next step. If anyone can provide help with the following questions, I would appreciate it and will be happy to share our results:

- Who would you recommend to help us engineer an optimal solution (equipment, placement, ducting, shoes, ancillary vacuums)?
- Is there any equipment vendor you would avoid?
- We have succeeded with a ducting system that uses a flexible Z arrangement supported by sliding cables over the bed. It has no 90-degree bends and seems to maximize suction. Is there a better method?
- Has anyone placed multiple 55gal drum vortices in line? We are concerned about the frequency of having to empty the collector.
- What other questions should we be asking?

IndianaAve

looks all good i was kind of looking for something custom or a little more advanced. i have 2 multicam's and one has the 2 heads so i have the pvc pipe running up the wall and connecting with flex from the ceiling it just doesn't seem to work that well.
My AXYZ came with a dust collector that surrounds the bit and an overhead hose takes it out of the room.
Gerald - Curious how the AXYZ head has worked out for you

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We have a system from Oneida Air Systems. It sits outside and we ran some round metal ducting to our CNC shop and woodworking shop. They should also be able to help design the system and determine what size pipe to run where, where to step down to smaller pipe etc.

IndianaAve

We have a system from Oneida Air Systems. It sits outside and we ran some round metal ducting to our CNC shop and woodworking shop. They should also be able to help design the system and determine what size pipe to run where, where to step down to smaller pipe etc.
Excellent. Thanks. Was permitting to put the system outside much of a problem?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It shouldn't be a huge deal but if you can install it inside you will save yourself a lot of headaches plus the wear on the unit from rain/snow. For the size you want, the blower would likely be integrated on the unit so it wouldn't be that big and you could exhaust it outside. For an exterior setup with a permit you will probably have to pour a slab and the manufacturer should have drawings to use in your submittals. Personally, I'd bootleg it but still make sure all the wiring was done to code.

IndianaAve

It shouldn't be a huge deal but if you can install it inside you will save yourself a lot of headaches plus the wear on the unit from rain/snow. For the size you want, the blower would likely be integrated on the unit so it wouldn't be that big and you could exhaust it outside. For an exterior setup with a permit you will probably have to pour a slab and the manufacturer should have drawings to use in your submittals. Personally, I'd bootleg it but still make sure all the wiring was done to code.
Great idea. I hadn't thought about only outletting the exhust.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Ours has been outside in Phoenix metro since 2008 with zero issues. We did pour a small concrete footing to anchor the legs and have a nice place for the 55 gal drum that collects your dust and chips. I don’t recall getting a permit for a dust collector. It’s like installing an air compressor with bigger air lines lol. The motor has a small metal hat over the top to keep the rain out but that’s about it other than replacing the rubbed plastic hose that connects the unit to the collection drum.

IndianaAve

Ours has been outside in Phoenix metro since 2008 with zero issues. We did pour a small concrete footing to anchor the legs and have a nice place for the 55 gal drum that collects your dust and chips. I don’t recall getting a permit for a dust collector. It’s like installing an air compressor with bigger air lines lol. The motor has a small metal hat over the top to keep the rain out but that’s about it other than replacing the rubbed plastic hose that connects the unit to the collection drum.
Very helpful, thank you.

johnnysigns

Gerald - Curious how the AXYZ head has worked out for you
I run their 5Y chip collection head and other than crashing that head into shallow board and knocking it out of position it's worked well. It still allows you to put force onto what you're cutting, but you can also have it set to be raised above a part if you say don't want to scratch something that's printed.

IndianaAve

I run their 5Y chip collection head and other than crashing that head into shallow board and knocking it out of position it's worked well. It still allows you to put force onto what you're cutting, but you can also have it set to be raised above a part if you say don't want to scratch something that's printed.
Thanks for this. Very helpful.