• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Easier way of Weeding vinyl(machine or toll) ?

chartle

This^^ I love the Harbor Freight extra long scissors. I use them all the time.

I mostly need them when I apply 48" wide application paper using my laminator. The sheets exit out onto a table not a roll so I can't use the rear cutter. I have to use the long scissors to reach all the way across the sheet.

scott pagan

You mean one actually exists? I'm new to this and had just heard rumors. The guy I worked with has been doing it forever and never heard of a machine.

this one must be the 100k one.
Galileo Weeding Machine - The revolution for weed removal in printing industry - YouTube

i remember seeing a demo for a different plotter attachment (icut Mickkelson MGE?) that would plotter knife cut your file, then drop glue spots in the 'matrix/waste' areas, then it would go thru a dual roller that would pull off the weeding, leaving you with ready to premask decal sheets. it only worked with really large lettering (duh, the easiest type to weed) and i'd think would have been a hassle to fix if running a big production run and had any issues. we have a staff of experienced weeders that make quick work of weeding and can handle any materials any size without too much stress. the worst weeding i've encountered is very intricate fine stroke designs in the etch glass type vinyls. those can be a beast to see and weed, and getting the premask to bond to it for application can be tricky sometimes too.

printhog

If you're plotters knife offset is properly setup you can zip weed itsy bitsy letters. I bought a $300 US Cutter plotter for a backup. After calibrating the knife and the landing, that el cheapo can cut quarter inch copy and I can zip weed the entire thing in oracal 651 without losing a single character. So I'd suggest you get the plotter manual and a loupe and set up the machine properly. Then weeding will be simple.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bill Heishman

For the new guys... You should consider recalibrating your plotter every time you change blades. There can be microscopic differences between blades that can affect cutting. I run through knife/blade calibration every time I change blades on my Summa T1400. Takes a few minutes but sure saves time later when you have to weed what you cut.

becker

Hi guys!

I've been working with my hobby vinyl shop for some years now. And I keep thinking there must be an easier way to remove excess vinyl from the backing paper.

I've seen products like the weeder sheeter: Welcome to WEEDER SHEETER.com! and the super expensive automated machine (forgot its name)

You guys. When you work with vinyl. is there any good tool you would recommend? I am willing to pay for a good tool. some thousand bucks but not in the 100k line i see these machines go for:S

Also! What vinyl is best (for home, vehicles etc) Currently using Oracal 651 because of the OK price we get here.

any advice would be of great help!

for weeding lots of material at one time, try one of these-
Product Info
theres also a Dutch company that makes a similar table mounted hand crank Weeder.
Instead of oracal, use SC900 or 700 Series from Avery Dennison. Better material, cuts easily, better durability.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If your using professional sign making software you should have some options in your program like this in Flexi.

Here are some weed options to make things easier...

Weed border, vertical weed lines, vertical split lines, horizontal weed lines, horizontal spit lines, easy weed, etc.

Vertical weed lines and split lines make weeding much quicker... weed options.jpg

MadSilence

HAHA best tip ever xD I just have to wait 4 more years then ;)

So, to sum up. Manual weeding i what everyone does? WoW!! PS: i don't have so much trouble weeding it. its just the time it takes and how boring that part is xD

For info. I use an old Graphtec 2100-120. =)

BTW! We've considered doing what you do here. making full color gfx. any tips for a beginner? tool, plotter what do I need really? I reccon a printer(what type?) and a plotter that can read it and cut around it?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
weeder sheeter? for $1000? can't you just do the same with your laminator?