• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Easy Question - Outline

Dentafrice

Well I'm new to this, and I can do quite a few things.. it's just sometimes new things come up and I'm confused.

The black is just a background.

I have the picture attached.. when I cut the vinyl out by color (green.. white.. the green is also cut on the inside.. and when I layer the vinyl.. you can still see the outline of the stroke..

What I want is a solid stroke (that isn't cut or anything).. and a solid outside layer..

Basically I want that stroke all the way green.. so there is no cut lines on the inside..

I just can't figure out how to do it!

Thanks.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 91
  • windows_screenshot.png
    windows_screenshot.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 77

Salmoneye

What software are you using? I would imagine you just need to set your fill color to the same as your outline. Not that you asked for a critique but those two fonts sure don't seem to go together.

Erikka@Rainier

If I am understanding you correctly, you are layering the white over the green? I would just do the stroke and fill on the green the same, then it will only cut the outside line, and layer the white over it.

saktrnch

Clink on the Window tab in the menu, click on Pathfinder- that will open the pathfinder panel, click on the merge button.

If I understand this right and you are using Flexi when the outline tool is open in design central there is a little red box with a black line in it make sure you select the one with the center of the box closed. If the center of the box is open that's what you will get when you cut. I hope this helps. Sorry no screen shot as I am at home

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What version of Illustrator?

Generally I would copy YEE-HAW

then the selected Yee-haw I would "EXPAND" or "EXPAND TRANSPARENCY" (depending on the type of stroke)

Then the lines shoulD all be vecTor, then go to "PATHFINDER" hit "ADD TO SHAPE AREA" and you should have a solid color backing.

then "PASTE IN FRONT"..

"EXPAND" or "EXPAND TRANSPARENCY" (depending on the type of stroke)

then go to "PATHFINDER" hit "SUBTRACT FROM SHAPE AREA" and you should have a solid letter to overlay on the backing.

Dentafrice

Sorry to not mention. I'm using Illustrator. Yeah those fonts don't go together at all, but that's the font I had selected in another project and just threw motorsports on there so I wouldn't forget to add it.

When I merge.. it still cuts the inside line of the green. I'm using SignCut to cut also.

Attachments

• windows_screenshot.png
    windows_screenshot.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 96

Rick

You also have stroke options like the stroke you have where the stroke id split between the inside and the outside, stroke on the outside, and stroke on the inside.

I like working in strokes because it is faster to get the effect I want, then get the file ready for production, many people prefer "OFFSET PATH" Using OFFSET PATH will still require some welding but yo will be working with real vectors.

Rick

Sorry to not mention. I'm using Illustrator. Yeah those fonts don't go together at all, but that's the font I had selected in another project and just threw motorsports on there so I wouldn't forget to add it.

When I merge.. it still cuts the inside line of the green. I'm using SignCut to cut also.

ooops, before you add to shape areas, you may have to ungroup it....